Problem nº1 from Strenght of Materials by J.P. Den Hartog (1949)

In summary: FL^2}{AEI}$ = $\frac{25,837,719 x (300 x 12)^2}{452.16 x 2.47 x 10^7}$ = 0.985 inIn summary, the question asks for the elastic contraction of a propeller shaft in a large ship with a power transmission of 50,000 hp and an efficiency of 70%. The shaft is 300 ft long and has a diameter of 24 in. Using Euler's Buckling Formula and the elastic contraction formula, the calculation shows that the elastic contraction of the shaft at full power is 0.985 in.
miloricardo

Homework Statement

A propeller shaft in the largest and most powerful ships transmits about 50,000 hp. Assume that the propeller transforms this power into a forward push on the ship with an efficiency of 70 per cent and that the ship's speed then is 30 knots (1 knot is 6,080 ft/hr).

The shaft is 300 ft long from the propeller to the thrust bearing in the engine room, where the thrust is transmitted to the ship's hull structure. The diameter of the (solid, circular) shaft is 24 in. Calculate the elastic contraction of the shaft at full power.
(Answer:0.985 in).

Homework Equations

They are attached in my attempt solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment My fail solution.doc

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Euler's Buckling Formula $$P = \frac{\pi^2 E I}{L^2}$$Where P is the maximum load that can be applied before buckling occurs, E is Young's Modulus, I is the second moment of inertia of the cross section of the shaft and L is the length of the shaft. The elastic contraction formula $$\sigma=\frac{F}{A}$$Where F is the force applied and A is the area of the cross-section of the shaft. The Force needed for buckling $$F = \frac{\pi^2 E I}{L^2}A$$The displacement due to buckling $$\delta = \frac{FL^2}{AEI}$$Given: Diameter of Shaft = 24 in Length of Shaft = 300 ft Efficiency of Propeller = 70%Power transmitted = 50,000 hp Speed of ship = 30 knotsConversion Factors: 1hp = 746 Watts1 knot = 6,080 ft/hrCalculations: Power transmitted (in Watts) = 50,000 x 746 = 37,300,000 WForce applied (in Newtons) = 37,300,000 W x 0.7 (efficiency) = 26,110,000 NArea of Cross-sectional Area of Shaft = $\pi$r2 = 3.14 x 12 x 12 = 452.16 in2 Young's Modulus of Steel = 200 GPa Second Moment of Inertia = $\frac{\pi}{64}$d4 = $\frac{\pi}{64}$ x 24 x 24 x 24 x 24 = 2.47 x 107 mm4 The Force needed for buckling = $\frac{\pi^2 E I}{L^2}A$ = $\frac{(3.14)^2 x 200 x 2.47 x 10^7}{(300)^2 x 452.16}$ = 25,837,719 N The displacement due to

1. What is Problem nº1 from Strength of Materials by J.P. Den Hartog (1949)?

Problem nº1 is a fundamental problem in the field of strength of materials, which is a branch of engineering that deals with the behavior of solid objects subjected to external forces. It is described in detail in the book "Strength of Materials" by J.P. Den Hartog, first published in 1949.

2. What is the purpose of Problem nº1?

The purpose of Problem nº1 is to introduce students to the basic principles of strength of materials, such as stress, strain, and the relationship between them. It also helps students to understand the concept of deformation and how different materials behave under different loading conditions.

3. What are the key concepts covered in Problem nº1?

Some key concepts covered in Problem nº1 include: stress, strain, Hooke's law, axial loading, and deformation. These concepts are essential for understanding the behavior of materials under different types of loading and are the foundation for more advanced problems and applications in strength of materials.

4. How can I solve Problem nº1?

To solve Problem nº1, you will need to apply the principles of strength of materials and use equations and formulas to calculate stress, strain, and deformation. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem statement, identify the given information and unknowns, and then use the appropriate equations and methods to solve for the unknowns.

5. Why is it important to study Problem nº1?

Studying Problem nº1 is important because it lays the foundation for understanding the behavior of materials under different types of loading. This knowledge is crucial for engineers and scientists in various fields, as it allows them to design and analyze structures and machines that can withstand external forces and loads. Additionally, understanding Problem nº1 can help in solving more complex problems and in the practical applications of strength of materials.