Is the following result trivial?

• Thread starter JoanBraidy
  • Start date
In summary, we have proven that for any k\in\mathbb{N}, there are infinitely many n such that S_n contains an element of order n^k. This is shown through induction and the use of Bertrand's postulate.
JoanBraidy
I proved there's infinitely many n such that S_n has an element of order n^2

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Trivialish.

[itex]3^2+4^2+5^2<3.4.5[/itex].

Suppose [itex]3^{2i}+4^{2i}+5^{2i}<3^i.4^i.5^i[/itex] for [itex]i<n[/itex], then
[itex]3^{2(i+1)}+4^{2(i+1)}+5^{2(i+1)}<25(3^i.4^i.5^i)<3^{i+1}4^{i+1}5^{i+1}[/itex], hence [itex]3^{2n}+4^{2n}+5^{2n}<3^n4^n5^n[/itex] by induction.

It follows that [itex]S_{3^n4^n5^n}[/itex] has an element of order [itex](3^n4^n5^n)^2[/itex] for all [itex]n\in \mathbb{N}[/itex].

Similarly [itex]5^{3n}+7^{3n}+9^{3n}+11^{3n}<5^n7^n9^n11^n[/itex], so there are an infinite number of [itex]k[/itex] such that [itex]S_k[/itex] contains an element of order [itex]k^3[/itex].

I think its probably true that there are an infinite number of [itex]n[/itex] such that [itex]S_n[/itex] contains an element of order [itex]n^k[/itex] for any [itex]k\in \mathbb{N}[/itex].

Last edited:
Martin Rattigan said:
Trivialish.

[itex]3^2+4^2+5^2<3.4.5[/itex].

Suppose [itex]3^{2i}+4^{2i}+5^{2i}<3^i.4^i.5^i[/itex] for [itex]i<n[/itex], then
[itex]3^{2(i+1)}+4^{2(i+1)}+5^{2(i+1)}<25(3^i.4^i.5^i)<3^{i+1}4^{i+1}5^{i+1}[/itex], hence [itex]3^{2n}+4^{2n}+5^{2n}<3^n4^n5^n[/itex] by induction.

It follows that [itex]S_{3^n4^n5^n}[/itex] has an element of order [itex](3^n4^n5^n)^2[/itex] for all [itex]n\in \mathbb{N}[/itex].

Similarly [itex]5^{3n}+7^{3n}+9^{3n}+11^{3n}<5^n7^n9^n11^n[/itex], so there are an infinite number of [itex]k[/itex] such that [itex]S_k[/itex] contains an element of order [itex]k^3[/itex].

I think its probably true that there are an infinite number of [itex]n[/itex] such that [itex]S_n[/itex] contains an element of order [itex]n^k[/itex] for any [itex]k\in \mathbb{N}[/itex].

similar to what I did thanks

if I proved the general case, do you think that would be trivial?

There are straightforward proofs quoting Bertrand's postulate or the prime number theorem or other theorems on prime distribution. Most people wouldn't call the quoted theorems trivial, so you'd probably want to distinguish between a trivial result and a trivial proof.

I've appended a proof (I tried to put this under a spoiler but it doesn't seem to work with latexed code - you'll just have to avoid looking if you're still doing your own proof). Whether you'd call the proof trivial is really subjective.

For [itex]k=0[/itex] it is trivial that [itex]S_n[/itex] has an element of order [itex]n^k[/itex].

For any [itex]k\in\mathbb{N},k\geq1[/itex]

[tex]p_n^k+p_{n+1}^k+\dots+p_{n+r}^k+\dots+p_{n+k}^k[/tex]
[tex]\leq p_n^k(1+2^k+2^{2k}+\dots+2^{rk}+\dots+2^{k^2})\text{ (By Bertrand's postulate)}[/tex]
[tex]=p_n^k(2^{k(k+1)}-1)/(2^k-1)[/tex]

If [itex]n_k[/itex] is chosen so that
[tex]p_{n_k+k}\geq (2^{k(k+1)}-1)/(2^k-1)[/tex]
then for any [itex]n\geq n_k[/itex]

[tex]p_n^k(2^{k(k+1)}-1)/(2^k-1)[/tex]
[tex]\leq p_n^k(p_{n+k})[/tex]
[tex]\leq p_np_{n+1}\dots p_{n+r}\dots p_{n+k-1}p_{n+k}[/tex]

Hence for any such [itex]n[/itex], [itex]S_{p_np_{n+1}\dots p_{n+r}\dots p_{n+k}}[/itex] contains an element of order [itex](p_np_{n+1}\dots p_{n+r}\dots p_{n+k})^k[/itex].

Last edited:

I cannot make a judgment on whether a result is trivial or not. However, I can provide an explanation of the significance of this result in the context of mathematics.

The result stated is a significant and non-trivial result in the field of group theory. It states that for any integer n, there exists an element in the group S_n (the symmetric group of degree n) whose order is n^2. This means that the group S_n contains elements with arbitrarily large orders, which is not obvious and requires a proof.

This result has implications in various areas of mathematics, such as number theory and abstract algebra. It also has applications in other fields, such as cryptography and coding theory.

In conclusion, while the statement may seem simple and straightforward, it is a non-trivial result that has important implications and applications in mathematics.

1. What does it mean for a result to be trivial?

A trivial result is one that is easily proved or obvious, and does not require any significant effort or insight to understand. It is often seen as uninteresting or unimportant in the context of a scientific study.

2. How can you determine if a result is trivial?

A result can be considered trivial if it follows directly from well-known facts, definitions, or assumptions. It may also be considered trivial if it is a simple consequence of basic arithmetic or algebraic operations.

3. Why is it important to consider if a result is trivial?

Considering if a result is trivial is important because it allows scientists to determine the significance and relevance of their findings. Trivial results may not add any new knowledge or insights to a field of study, and may not be worth publishing or presenting.

4. Are all trivial results unimportant?

Not necessarily. While trivial results may not be groundbreaking or novel, they can still be useful in certain contexts. For example, a trivial result may serve as a starting point for more complex investigations or can be used to validate more complicated theories.

5. Can a result be both trivial and significant?

Yes, it is possible for a result to be both trivial and significant. A result may be considered trivial in one context, but can still have important implications or applications in another context. Additionally, a seemingly trivial result may lead to further research and discoveries that are more significant in the long run.