Deriving Irradiance Expression

Your Name]In summary, to derive an expression for the spectral intensity (irradiance) of a single pulse of a laser operating at a central wavelength of 800nm, we can use the relation between electric field and irradiance, given by I = (1/2*u0)*|E|^2. By taking the time average of the squared magnitude of the electric field, we can simplify the equation and use the Gaussian integral identity to obtain the final expression: I = (E0^4*√(π/2))/(T*a).
blorpinbloo

Homework Statement

Electric field for a single pulse of a laser (operating at central wavelength of 800nm):
Code:
E = E0e^(-(t^2/2a^2))e^(iwt)

(the a is sigma and w is omega)

Derive an expression for the spectral intensity (irradiance)

The Attempt at a Solution

One way I know to calculate irradiance is the time average of the poynting vector: (1/u0)*ExB
But that would involve taking the time average of e^(-(t^2)) which is non-integrable.

I've also seen the function E integrated over an area, then squared to give an irradiance formula, but then again I run into problems with that function that's difficult to integrate. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for your post. To derive an expression for the spectral intensity (irradiance) of a single pulse of a laser, we can use the relation between electric field and irradiance, given by:

I = (1/2*u0)*|E|^2

where I is the irradiance, u0 is the permeability of free space, and E is the electric field. In your case, the electric field is given by:

E = E0e^(-(t^2/2a^2))e^(iwt)

To calculate the spectral intensity, we need to take the time average of the squared magnitude of the electric field. This can be done using the following steps:

1. Take the squared magnitude of the electric field:

|E|^2 = E0^2e^(-t^2/a^2)e^(-iwt) * E0^2e^(-t^2/a^2)e^(iwt)

2. Use the properties of exponents to simplify the equation:

|E|^2 = E0^4e^(-2t^2/a^2)

3. Take the time average by integrating over time from -∞ to ∞ and dividing by the total time:

<I> = (1/T)*∫-∞∞ E0^4e^(-2t^2/a^2) dt

4. Use the substitution u = t/a to simplify the integral:

<I> = (1/T)*∫-∞∞ E0^4e^(-2u^2) du

5. Use the Gaussian integral identity to solve the integral:

<I> = (1/T)*(E0^4*√(π/2))

6. Substitute back for u and T to get the final expression for the spectral intensity:

I = (E0^4*√(π/2))/(T*a)

I hope this helps you in your calculations. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is the purpose of deriving an irradiance expression?

The purpose of deriving an irradiance expression is to mathematically represent the relationship between the intensity of electromagnetic radiation and the distance from the source of radiation. This expression can then be used to calculate the amount of energy received at a certain distance from the source.

2. How is an irradiance expression derived?

An irradiance expression is derived using mathematical equations and principles, typically from the laws of physics and the properties of electromagnetic radiation. This involves understanding the behavior of radiation, such as how it spreads out and decreases in intensity as it travels through space.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of an irradiance expression?

The accuracy of an irradiance expression can be affected by various factors such as the wavelength of the radiation, the medium through which it is traveling, and any obstacles or interference in its path. It is important to consider these factors when deriving and using an irradiance expression.

4. Can an irradiance expression be used for all types of electromagnetic radiation?

Yes, an irradiance expression can be used for all types of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, infrared, ultraviolet, and even radio waves. However, the specific equations and constants used may differ depending on the type of radiation being considered.

5. What are some real-world applications of irradiance expressions?

Irradiance expressions have various real-world applications, including in fields such as astronomy, remote sensing, and optics. They are used to calculate the amount of energy received from distant stars, to measure the amount of solar radiation reaching the Earth's surface, and to design and optimize optical systems for various purposes.