Can someone explain a DC electromagnetic generator in lamen terms for me?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's interest in building a wind-powered generator and their questions regarding the design and materials needed for it. They have found some information online but are still unsure about the details. Another person suggests finding a pre-built alternator, but the speaker wants to build their own for the learning experience. The conversation also touches on the principles of magnetic induction and the possibility of using a car alternator for the project.
waddlecaudle
I have been researching generators lately, whilst contemplating building my own wind powered generator. I think I understand the general layout: a central magnetic core that rotates with an outside ring of conductive coils spun in specific alternating turns with their own magnetic cores. If I am wrong please correct me, the best general description I could find for building one was:

http://www.otherpower.com/woodmill.html

I still have a few questions and appreciate any help that can be given.

I understand that the number of turns of the coil effects the voltage output. I was wondering if there is a simple way to calculate the number of turns of the wire without sitting down and manually trial/error testing turns. I found a few sites, but they gave me different explanations yielding different answers.

As far as the magnetic cores of the coils go, does it matter how the poles of these cores are arranged? Or does it just matter that it they be magnetic?

What is the best material to hold the actual rotating magnet with. In the website above they use wood, but this is just a simple homemade solution. Wouldn't some sort of light metallic core be better?

Would it take a relatively large generator to create ~20 amps at 12V? I know that engineers hate this kind of question, but as far as generators go am I looking at a smaller one that can be powered by wind, or am I looking at something that has to use a gas motor?

Obviously I am no engineer, but just a guy that likes to tinker with things. If something that I say sounds ridiculous please correct my ignorance. All help is greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
My advice - don't try to replicate a century of learning in building these devices - go find one already built. You can probably find a 12V automobile alternator at a junkyard for free that will do about what you are trying to do.

phyzguy said:
My advice - don't try to replicate a century of learning in building these devices - go find one already built. You can probably find a 12V automobile alternator at a junkyard for free that will do about what you are trying to do.

Well what's the fun in that silly :) I appreciate the thought and have considered it, but would rather enjoy building one. Think it would be fun. And I like learning how things work. I have my hands on one, but having one doesn't really answer my questions so I figured I would ask. Thank you

Induced voltage depends on speed of rotor, flux in machine, and number of current paths, length and number of conductors.

eind=(v x B) dot l ,(speed, flux density, length) vector quantities.

Make a sketch and do the math. A visit to the library wouldn't hurt either, many good books on the subject. As phyzguy pointed out, don't re-invent the wheel.

Without much study i believe the generator inn the link is a AC synchronous generator. Like the car alternator. Principle is the same, but you need a rectifier.

waddlecaudle said:
Well what's the fun in that silly :) I appreciate the thought and have considered it, but would rather enjoy building one. Think it would be fun. And I like learning how things work. I have my hands on one, but having one doesn't really answer my questions so I figured I would ask. Thank you

Wave a coil in front of a magnet and prove to yourself that magnetic induction works by looking at a meter. Take a cycle alternator apart, look at how it works and onserve the effect of speed changes and load changes. Then go out and find a cheap / free 12V car alternator. You probably don't have the knowledge or facilities to make anything that will do anything as well at that. That's if you actually want to use it for a serious application. You wouldn't want to waste all that effort in building the turbine bit and then produce just a few measly watts, would you? Even the commercial small wind turbines don't do much!

sophiecentaur said:
Then go out and find a cheap / free 12V car alternator.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you need a constant 12v field to operate a regular car alternator, and doesn't this defeat the purpose of building a homemade neo-magnet alternator?

Yes. That's a point. You only need a small battery in the system, though. It also would mean you could regulate the output voltage.

1. What is a DC electromagnetic generator?

A DC electromagnetic generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy through the use of a magnetic field. It consists of a rotating shaft, a set of permanent magnets, and a system of copper coils called an armature.

2. How does a DC electromagnetic generator work?

When the shaft of the generator is rotated, the permanent magnets create a magnetic field around the armature. As the armature rotates within this field, an electric current is induced in the coils, generating electricity.

3. What are the main components of a DC electromagnetic generator?

The main components of a DC electromagnetic generator include a rotor (rotating shaft), stator (stationary part), permanent magnets, and armature (coils of wire).

4. What are the advantages of using a DC electromagnetic generator?

DC electromagnetic generators are efficient, reliable, and have a low maintenance cost. They can also produce a constant, steady flow of electricity, making them useful for powering small devices or charging batteries.

5. How is a DC electromagnetic generator different from an AC generator?

The main difference between a DC electromagnetic generator and an AC generator is the type of current they produce. DC generators produce direct current, which flows in one direction, while AC generators produce alternating current, which periodically reverses direction. Additionally, the components and design of the two types of generators differ slightly.