Trick for memorizing + learning

• Thread starter cnidocyte
  • Start date
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the forum member has discovered a unique method of memorizing and learning scientific concepts by creating visual shortcuts and incorporating multiple senses, such as grinding their fist into their hand. This method has been effective for them and they have not forgotten any information memorized in this way. However, further research and experimentation may be necessary to fully understand the potential limitations and effectiveness of this method.
cnidocyte
Through trial and error I've figured out a vastly superior method of memorizing and learning scientific concepts. Vastly superior to the methods I used to use out of habit I mean. What I do is I make a visual shortcut, its just a picture to represent the overall concept. Once I have the image, I visualize it while simultaneously grinding my right fist into the palm of my left hand. I do this about times and it the picture gets added to my permanent, easily accessed memory. Its kind of like a milestone, when I think of the concept that mental image automatically pops up in my head and it has information attached to it (more than what can be derived from the image alone). This eliminates the need for revision and for some reason it makes learning the concept much easier for me.

Heres a few examples of these visual shortcuts. I was learning about acetals and hemiacetals but I didn't have enough time to figure it out so I made a visual shortcut to whatever little understanding I did have which looks like this
[PLAIN]http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6484/diaft.jpg
normally I'd need to fully figure out the concept for it to be memorized so I would have made no progress at all but with this mental image method I'm always making progress. So far I haven't forgot anything I've memorized like this. I think the key to the effectiveness of this is the grinding your fist into your hand part. I've had a habit of doing that every time I feel like I've accomplished something but it seems the more senses that are involved the more rapidly the memories are formed. By throwing in sound, taste and smell this can probably be made even more effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your method of memorizing and learning scientific concepts. I am always interested in new techniques that can improve our understanding and retention of complex information.

I must say, your approach is quite unique and intriguing. However, as with any new method, it is important to evaluate its effectiveness and potential limitations. I have a few questions and thoughts that I would like to share with you.

Firstly, have you conducted any studies or experiments to compare the effectiveness of your method with traditional methods of learning and memorizing? It would be interesting to see if there is a significant difference in retention and understanding between the two methods.

Additionally, while the involvement of multiple senses may aid in memory formation, it is important to note that the grinding of your fist into your hand may not be a necessary component. It is possible that the visual image alone is enough to trigger the associated information in your memory. Further research on this aspect could provide valuable insights.

Moreover, I would like to point out that scientific concepts are often complex and interconnected. While your method may be effective for memorizing individual concepts, it may not necessarily facilitate understanding of the larger picture. It is important to ensure that we have a deep understanding of scientific concepts, rather than just memorizing them.

Finally, I would like to encourage you to continue exploring and experimenting with your method. As scientists, we are constantly learning and improving our techniques and approaches. Who knows, your method may have the potential to revolutionize the way we learn and retain scientific information.

Thank you again for sharing your insights and I look forward to hearing more about your experiences with this method in the future.

What is the best trick for memorizing and learning information?

The best trick for memorizing and learning information is to use mnemonic devices, such as acronyms or rhymes, to help you remember key points or concepts.

What is the difference between memorizing and learning?

Memorizing involves simply memorizing information without fully understanding it, while learning involves understanding and applying the information to new situations.

How can I improve my memory for studying?

Some ways to improve your memory for studying include practicing active learning techniques, such as summarizing and self-testing, getting enough sleep, and staying organized.

Is it better to study for long periods of time or in short bursts?

Studies have shown that it is more effective to study in short, focused bursts with breaks in between, as this helps with retention and prevents burnout.

Are there any specific techniques for memorizing and learning difficult concepts?

Some techniques for memorizing and learning difficult concepts include breaking the information into smaller, more manageable chunks, using visual aids or diagrams, and connecting the new information to something you already know.