Water pressure in multiple tanks

In summary, the question is about the order in which a series of stacked water tanks will drain when connected to a single downpipe with one-way flow valves. The top tank will drain first due to the pressure from above keeping the lower check-valves closed. The one-way valves will only open when the pressure outside is lower than the pressure inside, leading to a sequential draining process. The provided information suggests that the top tank will drain first, followed by the second tank and so on.
eocbusy
hi - i am new so forgive any errors.
question is this. if a number of water tanks are stacked one on top of the other. and each share the same downpipe with a tap at ground level. When the tap is opened which tank will drain first and why?

many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
shouldn't they be drained at the same rate?

In the initial state with the tap closed, why isn't water flowing from the higher tanks into the lower tanks like normal siphon process?

i think u should use an illustration to show how are the tanks connected

The top tank will drain first, since the tanks below it would be refilled from the tank above, were their levels to go down.

thanks for replies so far. but clearly i have not given enough info.
the tanks are all full. they are each connected to a single downpipe. Each connector has a one way flow valve. so water cannot flow from one tank into another. in that scenario when the tap at ground level is opened all the tanks will compete to discharge their volume. i would just like some guidance on which would empty first. and of course why. t

thanks again.

I think the pressure from (on?) the highest tank would cause it to drain first as that pressure would keep all your lower check-valves closed. In fact I would hazard to go further out on the limb and say that the check-valves are superflous.

The one way valves will not open until pressure outside the valve is lower than pressure inside the valve, so until all water above any current tank's water level is drained, the valve for that tank will not open. The top tank drains first, then the water in the pipe above the 2nd tank drains next, then the 2nd tank and water in the pipe just below level of water in 2nd tank drains, ...

1. What is water pressure in multiple tanks?

Water pressure in multiple tanks refers to the force exerted by the weight of water in several interconnected tanks. This pressure is influenced by the height of the tanks, the volume of water in each tank, and the density of the water.

2. How does the water pressure change in multiple tanks?

The water pressure in multiple tanks can change depending on the volume of water in each tank and the height difference between the tanks. As more water is added to a tank, the pressure will increase, and if water is removed, the pressure will decrease. Similarly, a higher tank will have a greater pressure than a lower tank.

3. What factors affect the water pressure in multiple tanks?

The main factors that affect water pressure in multiple tanks are the height and volume of water in each tank, the density of the water, and the presence of any barriers or restrictions in the connecting pipes between the tanks.

4. How is water pressure measured in multiple tanks?

Water pressure in multiple tanks is typically measured using a pressure gauge, which can be attached to the tanks or the connecting pipes. The resulting measurement is usually in pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

5. Can water pressure in multiple tanks be adjusted?

Yes, water pressure in multiple tanks can be adjusted by changing the volume of water in each tank or adjusting the height of the tanks. Other factors, such as the density of the water and any restrictions in the connecting pipes, can also be modified to impact the water pressure in the tanks.