Abstract algebra proof involving prime numbers

In summary, if p is prime and p | a^n, then p^n | a^n. This can be proven using the fact that if p is prime and p | a1a2a3...an, then p must divide one of the a_i, and applying it to the special case where all a_i are equal to a. By raising both sides of the equation p(q) = a to the n power, we can conclude that p^n | a^n.
christinamora
The question states prove,
If p is prime and p | a^n then p^n | a^n

I am pretty sure I have i just may need someone to help clean it up.

There are two relevant theorems i have for this.
the first says p is prime if and if p has the property that if p | ab then p | a or p | b

the second one is that if p is prime and p | a1a2a3...an, then p must divide one of the a_i.

so for the proof i am assuming p | a^n which i can rewrite as

p | a*a*a...an-1*an. so this is saying p(q) = a*a*a...an-1*an for some integer q.

now if I look at p^n | a^n that's the same as

p*p*p...pn-1*pn | a*a*a...an-1*an

well p(p*p*p...pn-1*p) | a*a*a...an-1*an

is that the way to go?
Or maybe before when i had that p(q) = a*a*a...an-1*an for some integer q.

just set q = p^n-1 so that p(q) = p^n.

I feel like the later way should do it.
Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's actually hard to know whether you have it or not. Because that's pretty unreadable. If you know that "if p is prime and p | a1a2a3...an then p must divide one of the a_i" and you apply that to p | a^n=a*a*a*...a (n times), what do you conclude about the divisibility of a by p? It's just the special case where all of the a_i are equal to a.

ok so it is just a special case, so if p | a^n then the fact that p should divide one of the a_i means simply p|a, since every a_i is a.

so from p |a^n implies p |a .

so if p divides a we have that p(q) = a for some integer q.

since we have an equation, i can raise both sides to the n power,
so now i have p^n(q^n) = a^n which implies p^n | a^n.

that looks like it should be good right?

Last edited:
christinamora said:
ok so it is just a special case, so if p | a^n then the fact that p should divide one of the a_i means simply p|a, since every a_i is a.

so from p |a^n implies p |a .

so if p divides a we have that p(q) = a for some integer q.

since we have an equation, i can raise both sides to the n power,
so now i have p^n(q^n) = a^n which implies p^n | a^n.

that looks like it should be good right?

Now that looks right.

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It focuses on the manipulation and properties of abstract mathematical objects, rather than specific numbers.

2. What are prime numbers?

Prime numbers are positive integers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves. They have exactly two positive divisors and play an important role in number theory and cryptography.

3. How are prime numbers used in abstract algebra proofs?

Prime numbers are often used in abstract algebra proofs to establish the existence or uniqueness of certain algebraic structures. For example, the prime factorization theorem is a fundamental tool in proving the existence of finite fields.

4. Can abstract algebra proofs involving prime numbers be used in real-world applications?

Yes, abstract algebra has numerous applications in various fields such as computer science, physics, and cryptography. Prime numbers, in particular, are used in encryption algorithms to ensure secure communication and data protection.

5. Are there any open problems related to abstract algebra and prime numbers?

Yes, there are many open problems in abstract algebra related to prime numbers. One famous example is the unsolved problem of whether there exists an infinite number of twin primes (pairs of prime numbers that differ by 2).