Integration of powers of natural logs

In summary, the conversation discusses integrating a power of a logarithm, specifically the expression y= 3.2875E+004 - 8.9321E+005*ln x + 4.2316E+006*(ln x)^2 - 7.7776E+006*(ln x)^3 + 7.4949E+006*(ln x)^4 - 4.1373E+006*(ln x)^5 + 1.3164E+006*(ln x)^6 - 2.2448E+005*(ln x)^7 + 1.5873E+004*(ln x)^8. The conversation also covers the use of the integration by parts
sciencefog
Hi,

I need some help! :uhh:

I have a series of maths problems in my physics work...

I am trying to integrate a power of a log - such as:

y= 3.2875E+004 - 8.9321E+005*ln x + 4.2316E+006*(ln x)^2 - 7.7776E+006*(ln x)^3 + 7.4949E+006*(ln x)^4 - 4.1373E+006*(ln x)^5 + 1.3164E+006*(ln x)^6 - 2.2448E+005*(ln x)^7 + 1.5873E+004*(ln x)^8

Any help at all would be great :smile:

All I have is that: integral of lnx = xlnx - x + C

even just the simple y = 2*(lnx)^3, would be great, I can do the rest from there...I assume its a 'by parts' expression?

Cheers :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume its a 'by parts' expression?

Sounds reasonable; have you tried it?

Well I was thinking - but I don't know if its right and I don't know where to find out - hence posting here... :smile:

y = 2*(lnx)^3

= 2*[(lnx)(lnx)(lnx)]

therefore integral = 2*( xlnx - x * xlnx - x * xlnx - x) +C
= 2*(3xlnx - x) + c
=6xlnx - x + c

Is that right?

Thanks very much for the help. :biggrin:

This is absolutely wrong!
(Ask yourself: How can I prove that my answer is wrong? Hint: Differentiate..)

ok, so can you help me get further than this? maybe pointing me in the direction of the parts bit?

I know that: (all this is from the web, I have done this work - but 6 years ago..)

integral = $

$udv = uv - $vdu

[eg $xe^x.dx, u = x, dv = e^x.dx]

so for the expression: $2(lnx)^3.dx

I need a u part and a dv part:

u = lnx, (dv = x^3.dx)? I'm not sure what the dv part should be??

I also assume I take the constant out?

Cheers :redface:

Set u=(ln(x))^3 v'=1
Then,
uv=xln(x)^3, vu'=3ln(x)^2
Then, use the same technique with (ln(x))^2

Why is dv/dx = 1?

so here is my attempt at an answer:

$2(lnx)^3

u=(lnx)^3, v'=1

uv = x(lnx)^3, vu'=3(lnx)^2

u = (lnx)^2, v'=1

uv= x(lnx)^2, vu'=2lnx

so: $udv=x(lnx)^3 -$3(lnx)^2
= x(lnx)^3 - x(lnx)^2 - $2lnx
=x(lnx)^3 - x(lnx)^2 - 2(xlnx - x)

so complete answer would be:
= 2(x(lnx)^3 - x(lnx)^2 - 2(xlnx - x)) + C ??

I really am confused with the v' =1 i.e. are you saying that the integral of lnx = 1?? :cry:

How can that be - as when you differentiate you do not get lnx?

If you are not saying that then what is going on = can you break it down for me please as I'm very confused...

I thought the integral of lnx = xlnx - x +C ?

also - if you have: $2(lnx)^3 how is taking u = (lnx)^3 breaking it down - isn't that the same as what you start with - ie needing to break into parts...

I'm sorry if this is really obvious - but I am having real trouble working this out...

Cheers

You are mixing up dv and v'!
The integration by parts formula reads:
Int(uv',dx)=uv-Int(u'v,dx)
You may write this (using the change of variables formula) as:
Int(u,dv)=uv-Int(v,du)

Cheers guys

dats helpd a lil man... i was kinda stuck on da integral of (lnx)^2, an i thought dat mayb cos yu got (lnx) to the power 2, dat yu cnt take u = (lnx)^2... but now I am guessin yu can... RIIGHT? :uhh: :confused:

What is the general approach to integrating powers of natural logs?

The general approach to integrating powers of natural logs is to use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the expression in a simpler form, and then use integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts to evaluate the integral.

How do you integrate the power of a natural log with a numerical coefficient?

To integrate the power of a natural log with a numerical coefficient, you can use the substitution method by letting u equal the argument of the natural log and then substituting in for du in the integral. Alternatively, you can use integration by parts by letting u equal the natural log and dv equal the remaining expression, and then using the formula for integration by parts.

Can you use the power rule for integration to integrate powers of natural logs?

No, the power rule for integration does not apply to powers of natural logs because the natural log function is not a power function. Instead, you must use the properties of logarithms and integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

Is there a shortcut or formula for integrating powers of natural logs?

There is no specific shortcut or formula for integrating powers of natural logs. However, there are some common patterns and techniques that can be used to simplify the expression and make integration easier, such as using logarithmic identities and choosing appropriate substitution or integration by parts.

Can you integrate an infinite power of a natural log?

No, it is not possible to integrate an infinite power of a natural log. Integration requires the function to be continuous and finite over the given interval, and an infinite power of a natural log would result in an undefined or infinite value.