Wavelength and Extinction Coefficients

SiO2 and Si3N4 from ~300nm to 1200nm. He mentions that he has been researching for some time and has some tables and equations, but is still unable to find the one he needs. Another person suggests checking the book "Handbook of Optical Constants of Solids" edited by Edward D. Palik, as it may have the desired table. Chad expresses gratitude for the information and recognizes Palik's name from his research. In summary, the conversation is about Chad's search for a specific table and the suggestion to check a book for it.
Chad Stoltzma
I have been researching on the net and books for some time now. I have a few tables and equations but was wondering if anyone has the one I am looking for?

I'm looking for a table that lists Wavelength(nm), Extinction Coefficient(k), Absorption Coefficeint(a) and Density(d) values from ~300nm to 1200nm?

Thanks, Chad

Sorry, I guess the materials help.

SiO2 & Si3N4

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you can check the book
Handbook of Optical Constants of Solids Edited by: Palik, Edward D.
Maybe youcan find the table for SiO2 & Si3N4.
Hopes the information will help you!

I have seen this Edward Palik's name before. Thank you very much for the info!

Chad

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and extinction coefficients?

The relationship between wavelength and extinction coefficients is an inverse one. This means that as the wavelength of light increases, the extinction coefficient decreases. In other words, longer wavelengths of light are less likely to be absorbed or scattered by a material.

2. What is the difference between absorption and scattering in relation to extinction coefficients?

Absorption and scattering are both processes by which light is removed from a beam as it passes through a material. However, absorption involves the conversion of light energy into other forms of energy (such as heat), while scattering involves the redirection of light without any energy conversion. Extinction coefficients take into account both absorption and scattering effects in a material.

3. How do extinction coefficients affect the color of a material?

Extinction coefficients can affect the color of a material by determining which wavelengths of light are absorbed or scattered. For example, a material with a high extinction coefficient in the blue region of the spectrum will appear more red to the human eye, as the blue wavelengths are more likely to be removed from the light passing through the material.

4. Can extinction coefficients be measured experimentally?

Yes, extinction coefficients can be measured experimentally using a variety of methods. These include spectrophotometry, which measures the amount of light transmitted through a material at different wavelengths, and nephelometry, which measures the amount of scattered light at different angles.

5. How do different materials have different extinction coefficients?

The extinction coefficient of a material depends on its physical and chemical properties, such as its molecular structure, density, and refractive index. These properties determine how a material interacts with light, which in turn affects its extinction coefficient. Therefore, different materials will have different extinction coefficients due to their unique compositions and structures.