Understanding Radiation Pressure and Its Role in Star Dynamics

In summary, the stress-energy tensor for electromagnetic radiation is traceless in 4 dimensions, but this does not mean that the pressure components of the tensor are zero. In fact, there are four components to the trace, one energy density and three pressure components. When these are combined, the pressure is equal to one third of the energy density. This means that the pressure of radiation is not zero and plays an important role in star dynamics.
TrickyDicky
I would like to understand better the concept of radiation pressure, my main confusion comes from the fact that if the Stress-energy tensor for electromagnetic radiation is traceless, that would imply the pressure components of the tensor equal zero, and yet it's obvious radiation exerts pressure when absorbed or reflected and radiation pressure plays an important role in star dynamics.

I must be missing something really basic here, can someone explain this to me?

Thanks

Space news on Phys.org
The relativistic EM stress tensor in 4 dimensions is traceless. But there are 4 components to the trace... one energy density and three pressure. If you put that together, you find that the pressure is one third of the energy density.

nicksauce said:
The relativistic EM stress tensor in 4 dimensions is traceless. But there are 4 components to the trace... one energy density and three pressure. If you put that together, you find that the pressure is one third of the energy density.

So, I still don't get it, isn't it supposed to have the four components of the tensor vanishing, how can we make a proportion with quantities that are null? how can a zero pressure exert pressure? I'm stuck here.

What nicksauce is saying is that the stress-energy tensor of radiation looks like:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}\rho&0&0&0\\0&-p&0&0\\0&0&-p&0\\0&0&0&-p\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

With p = rho/3, the trace is zero.

phyzguy said:
What nicksauce is saying is that the stress-energy tensor of radiation looks like:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}\rho&0&0&0\\0&-p&0&0\\0&0&-p&0\\0&0&0&-p\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

With p = rho/3, the trace is zero.

Thanks, I see it now.

1. What is radiation pressure?

Radiation pressure is the force exerted by electromagnetic radiation on an object. It is caused by the transfer of momentum from photons to the object's surface, and it increases with the intensity of the radiation.

2. How does radiation pressure affect stars?

Radiation pressure plays a crucial role in the dynamics of stars. It provides an outward force that counteracts the inward force of gravity, helping to maintain the stability and shape of the star. In some cases, radiation pressure can also contribute to the formation of new stars by compressing gas and dust particles in molecular clouds.

3. What factors influence the strength of radiation pressure?

The strength of radiation pressure is influenced by several factors, including the intensity and wavelength of the radiation, the size and composition of the object, and the angle at which the radiation strikes the object's surface. Higher intensity and shorter wavelengths of radiation typically result in stronger radiation pressure.

4. How does radiation pressure impact the evolution of stars?

Radiation pressure plays a significant role in the evolution of stars. In massive stars, the outward force of radiation pressure can prevent the collapse of the star's core, allowing it to fuse heavier elements and potentially leading to a supernova explosion. In smaller stars, radiation pressure can eventually overcome gravity, causing the star to expand and become a red giant.

5. Can radiation pressure be harnessed for space propulsion?

Yes, radiation pressure can be harnessed for space propulsion through the use of solar sails. These sails reflect photons from the sun to create a small but constant force, allowing spacecraft to travel without the need for traditional fuel sources. However, this method is currently limited to small spacecraft and is not yet a feasible means of propulsion for larger objects.