How is electricity provided to our homes and what happens to it when not in use?

In summary, electrical energy is stored by power-station, for example a water power station. My question is,the water power station doesn't produce electricity all the time,then what provide the voltage in our houses?Do they store the electricity?(It seem to be impossible)In addition,if it begins to produce electricity,and nobody use it at that time,how to deal with these electricity?Thank you for your question. It sounds like you are wondering how electricity is stored. Just do a web search with key words such as "grid energy storage" to learn more about how this is done. Electricity is always the same as consumed power. Where else would the energy go? In some isolated locations there may be
mheslep said:
Compared to boilers, I don't really know, but turbine life is on the order of years for land based industrial use.

That timescale would compare with 'decades' for a steam turbine system? I didn't realize that gas turbines were used as regularly as you suggest. They certainly are very flexible but I wonder about relative fuel cost. That will change with the markets, I guess.

Engineering news on Phys.org
sophiecentaur said:
That timescale would compare with 'decades' for a steam turbine system? I didn't realize that gas turbines were used as regularly as you suggest. They certainly are very flexible but I wonder about relative fuel cost. That will change with the markets, I guess.
In the US NG is currently very cheap, and is back down to ~2002 prices, $4-5 per 1000 CF thanks in part to US shale gas. Still not as cheap as coal per BTU, but much closer than it was.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Henry_Hub_monthly_price.svg
recent:
http://www.eia.doe.gov/dnav/ng/ng_pri_sum_dcu_nus_m.htm