What is the minimum height for a mirror to see full image?

In summary, the plane mirror problem is a classic physics problem that involves understanding how light reflects off a flat, smooth surface. The reflection follows the law of reflection, where the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. In this problem, a virtual image is always formed as the light rays do not actually converge behind the mirror. The image in a plane mirror appears to be the same size as the object because of the equal distances between the object, mirror, and image. This concept has practical applications in various fields such as architecture, design, and medicine.
Dars

Homework Statement

I am 2 meters tall and I want to see my full image in a mirror. What is the minimum height the mirror should be?

Homework Equations

Why shouldn't min height be also 2m, because no magnification (plane mirror) ??

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Here, drawing a ray diagram would really help, because I have seen a lot of confusion among guys about this question... so draw the RD and post it here, and believe me, it helps a lot.

1. What is the plane mirror problem?

The plane mirror problem is a classic physics problem that involves understanding the reflection of light by a flat, smooth surface. It is commonly used to demonstrate the principles of optics and the law of reflection.

2. How does a plane mirror reflect light?

A plane mirror reflects light by bouncing the light off its smooth surface at an angle equal to the angle of incidence (the angle between the incident ray and the normal to the mirror's surface). This is known as the law of reflection.

3. What is the difference between a real and a virtual image in the plane mirror problem?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point, while a virtual image is formed when the light rays only appear to converge when traced back. In the plane mirror problem, a virtual image is always formed as the light rays do not actually converge behind the mirror.

4. Why does the image in a plane mirror appear to be the same size as the object?

The image in a plane mirror appears to be the same size as the object because the distance between the object and the mirror is equal to the distance between the mirror and the image. This creates the illusion of the image being the same size as the object.

5. How can we use the plane mirror problem in real-world applications?

The plane mirror problem has practical applications in various fields such as architecture, design, and medicine. For example, plane mirrors are used in periscopes to see around corners, in dressing rooms to provide a full view of an outfit, and in dental clinics to help dentists see inside a patient's mouth.