Fingerprint Scanner Homework: Finding Points to Identify Fingerprints

• Thread starter Moejoe666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scanner
In summary, the student is trying to make a fingerprint scanner by using frustrated total internal reflection of an infrared LED, with an image taken with a webcam. Google even pulls up somebody doing just that fingerprints & openCV. However, the student is not sure how to code the pattern recognition, and is looking for advice.
Moejoe666

Homework Statement

I am currently working on making a fingerprint scanner, by using frustrated total internal reflection of an infrared LED, with an image taken with a webcam. This setup is fully working and gives a reasonably sharp image.. however now i need to try to make a small program to find one or two points on this image to identify a fingerprint from say a choice of five. Obviously the more points, the more accurate but due to time constraints i am only looking to find one or two to show the concept.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Originally my first thought was to use mathematica to code some pattern recognition, but i have very limited knowledge on the program. Thought of possibly treating the fingerprint as a maze and trying to solve it but i cannot see that working. I'm not asking someone to write it for me, i just have no idea in which direction i should be looking, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey story645,

Thank you very much for the reply, I've never heard of openCV but that link you supplied was extremely helpful exactly what we were trying to do, however having seen that project and any others i could find it became clear how complex it can be. We decided just to stick to the physics side of the experiment and try to improve our scanner. Still have to make a presentation on how you are supposed to produce an algorithm etc for the identification though so again, many thanks for the reply, it will be very useful :) .

Kind Regards,

guys can u help me out regarding fingerprint scanner? can u tell me what are the components required to make fingerprint scanner? can u suggest me the requirements ?

I would first like to commend you on your progress in creating a working fingerprint scanner using frustrated total internal reflection and a webcam. It is a complex and innovative approach.

In terms of finding points to identify fingerprints, there are a few different approaches you could take. One option would be to use image processing techniques to isolate and analyze the unique features of a fingerprint, such as ridge endings and bifurcations. This could potentially provide a reliable way to identify specific points on the fingerprint.

Another approach could be to use machine learning algorithms to train a computer to recognize and identify fingerprint patterns. This would involve feeding the computer a large dataset of fingerprint images and teaching it to identify the unique characteristics of each one.

I understand that you are limited by time constraints, so my suggestion would be to do some research on image processing and machine learning techniques and see if you can find a pre-existing program or code that you could adapt for your project. Alternatively, you could reach out to colleagues or experts in the field for guidance and advice.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck with your project and I am confident that with your determination and ingenuity, you will find a solution to identify points on a fingerprint image.

1. How does a fingerprint scanner work?

A fingerprint scanner uses a combination of optical, capacitive, or ultrasonic technology to capture an image of the unique patterns and ridges on a person's fingertip. This image is then converted into a digital code that can be stored and used for identification purposes.

2. Can a fingerprint scanner be fooled by fake fingerprints?

It is possible for high-quality fake fingerprints to fool some fingerprint scanners, but most scanners have advanced algorithms and sensors that can detect fake prints. Additionally, most fingerprint scanners require a live finger with blood flow in order to register a match, making it difficult to use fake prints.

3. How accurate are fingerprint scanners?

Fingerprint scanners are highly accurate, with a false acceptance rate of less than 0.001% and a false rejection rate of less than 1%. These rates may vary depending on the quality of the scanner and the conditions in which it is being used.

4. Can a fingerprint scanner be used to identify identical twins?

Identical twins may have very similar fingerprints, but they are not an exact match. Fingerprint scanners are designed to detect even the smallest differences in patterns, so they can distinguish between identical twins.

5. What are the benefits of using fingerprint scanners for identification?

Fingerprint scanners are one of the most secure forms of identification, as each person's fingerprints are unique and cannot be replicated. They are also convenient, as individuals do not need to remember a password or carry a physical ID card. Additionally, fingerprint scanners are fast and easy to use, making them a popular choice for many applications.