Torque: Understanding with a Simple Example

• Thread starter Chopcsu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of torque and moment of inertia in relation to two squares with different sizes but the same mass. It is mentioned that pushing on the corner of the smaller square generates less torque compared to pushing on the same spot on the larger square due to the distance from the center of mass. The conversation ends with a clarification that the bigger square has a larger moment of inertia and the understanding that this is a simple example to demonstrate the concept.
Chopcsu
Just tryin to wrap my head around it, say I've got 2 squares(only worrying about 2d), assuming one is twice the size as the other but same mass.
if i push on the corner of the small square there is less toque than if i did the same push on the large box since its conact point is further from the cm?

just a simple example id like clarrified to help me understand better

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you are talking about the torques about the centres, generated by equal forces. Then:
True , but the moment of inertia of the bigger square is largest.

Last edited:
cheers, yeah i was thinking of the simple case

thanks for the answer, does help...sorta new it myself but wanted to hear it from someone else...

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

How is torque different from force?

Force is a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate, while torque causes an object to rotate around an axis. Force is a linear concept, while torque is rotational.

What is an example of torque in everyday life?

A common example of torque is using a wrench to loosen a bolt. The longer the wrench, the more torque can be applied to the bolt, making it easier to loosen.

How is torque measured?

Torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (N·m) or foot-pounds (ft·lb).

How does torque affect rotational speed?

The greater the torque applied to an object, the faster it will rotate. This is because torque and rotational speed are directly proportional to each other.