Exploring Classical Dance & Hip Swinging Moves

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classical
In summary: It was a lot of fun!A few years back my wife and I took lessons for ballroom dancing. We used to go to dances a lot, but the place we liked to go moved to a different location and we stopped going. We liked swing the best and we still dance when the occasion arises like at weddings and bar-mitzvahs.I took a belly dancing class. It was a lot of fun!And probably a lot more entertaining than my efforts to dance with my baby-sitters. Got any tapes? My experiences were quite a bit before the fad-dances that came and went seemingly within a week or two in the mid-to late 60's. The dances were standard and predictable
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Like classical dancing or getting down and swinging thoughts hips.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can dance, but its been a few years. I learned how to swing dance to impress a girl I liked. It worked and we dated for a few months. I don't know if I'd remember how now though.

I can dance like the Church Lady on Saturday Night Live.

dance dance dance, that's what I am all about!

I have four left feet: two on my legs and two on my arms.

lol!

If by dancing you mean moving around randomly without any idea what I'm doing or if it looks right, then yes, I can dance.

I never learned to dance. When I was a kid, I Twisted. Then I got a guitar and never danced again. The dancers paid me to play. It was great!

Drakkith said:
If by dancing you mean moving around randomly without any idea what I'm doing or if it looks right, then yes, I can dance.
Dancing like Elaine on Seinfeld? I'm down with that. I saw many, many nights of that when playing frat parties to pay my way though college.

turbo-1 said:
Dancing like Elaine on Seinfeld? I'm down with that. I saw many, many nights of that when playing frat parties to pay my way though college.

Never seen her dance so I wouldn't know. =)

Drakkith said:
Never seen her dance so I wouldn't know. =)
Not pretty, though she is. Really ugly disjointed movements and kinda spastic.

in high school I was in a break dance crew, we'd have battles, lots of fun. since then my back has frozen up and I'm unable to do much :(

Greg Bernhardt said:
in high school I was in a break dance crew, we'd have battles, lots of fun. since then my back has frozen up and I'm unable to do much :(
Got any videos? I'm sure a bunch of us members would be willing to cough up some significant cash for a look. :tongue2:

You used to have a video with the rocking chicken alarm clock in it. Spawn had one, then she decided to take it apart to see how it worked. That clock cost $50.

I should mention that my early baby-sitters made me dance with them once my sisters were in bed. I don't know if I was any good or not but my older second-cousin, and an another baby-sitter who "adopted" me at dances when I was in Junior High, were big fans of Elvis, Sedaka, Vinton, etc. They were huge dance-fiends and the latter one actually brought a little 45 player and a stack of records every time she came to baby-sit. She wouldn't let me sit out a single song in Junior High. If she and I had worked out a routine to some song, I HAD to dance with her. She was a HS cheerleader, and cute, but from a poor family, so she didn't get a lot of attention from the popular guys. Better for me.

Evo said:
Got any videos? I'm sure a bunch of us members would be willing to cough up some significant cash for a look. :tongue2:

Unfortunately not, I'd love it have some. We used to tape our practice sessions with my fathers camcorder. But one day it went missing and apparently it was for his work lol. So I'm sure someone at work who used the tape next was like wtf lol.

I took a belly dancing class. It was a lot of fun!

A few years back my wife and I took lessons for ballroom dancing. We used to go to dances a lot, but the place we liked to go moved to a different location and we stopped going. We liked swing the best and we still dance when the occasion arises like at weddings and bar-mitzvahs.

lisab said:
And probably a lot more entertaining than my efforts to dance with my baby-sitters. Got any tapes? My experiences were quite a bit before the fad-dances that came and went seemingly within a week or two in the mid-to late 60's. The dances were standard and predictable, but my baby-sitters were pretty much set on some routines - probably from something they saw on American Bandstand. I was never into choreography, but they were cute and nice, and so I went along.

I can dance as long as it's not to fast.

I'd have to limber up a bit.

I learned some dance as part of a summer arts/drama program. I ended up playing the scarecrow in a play about the Wizard of Oz. I could dance, fall and flop very well. :biggrin:

Dorothy and Glinda, Good Witch of the North were cute!

I wat to learn dancing!

I took ballet and jazz dancing as a kid. I spent a lot of time learning and practicing more freestyle dancing-type stuff during the 80s. Knowing how do to that makes nightclub dancing fun. I'm currently enrolled in ballroom dancing classes and am out-of-my-mind loving it.

Um, and I can keep a beat and everything, so yes, I can dance. I think.

lisab said:

That's not fair, i bet you don't have any videos :grumpy: i will just have to use my imagination
o:)

Drakkith said:

That's just about my level too.

I can dance in the same way that I can fall down and whack my head on the kitchen counter: it's mostly an accident, and when it's all over I'm in pain and someone is screaming about the blood.

I'll be sure to party with all of you folks. :biggrin:

YEP- Re: Can you dance

I can dance better than I can engage in conversation.

- swing, mambo, cha cha, waltz, foxtrot, and tango-a-bit.

Dancing was my social crutch in the 80's and 90's.

GeorginaS said:
I'll be sure to party with all of you folks. :biggrin:

Let the good times begin, so long as you lead.

I can dance, but not like an Egyptian.

wolram said:
Let the good times begin, so long as you lead.

I generally do. :biggrin:

turbo-1 said:
I can dance, but not like an Egyptian.

You've never met Susanna Hoffs! I did, when they played at Radford University, in the '80s. My brother DJ'd at the joint, so he was instrumental in integrated his and their sound system at The Depot. He asked me to check everything, as he was a DJ, not a sound guy, but knew what the heck I was talking about, so I did, and made some changes, coordinating with the Bangles sound guy.

These days, most concerts sound like crap.

Back then, we managed to make The Depot ROCK!

It's still listed as one of the best Radford University concerts on record.

mugaliens said:
You've never met Susanna Hoffs!
No, and what a pity. Cute, talented, and a fellow guitarist. I could have drawn HUGE crowds at my open-mic jams with her on stage, even if the people had no idea who she was. Sharing vocals, sharing guitar-parts with that crisp jangly Ric...

Hit up a club with a good beat and I'll be dancing for hours!

I have a video of my dance.And i will share if you say??

I dance from the obvious to the inspired.

I used to be scared that I would dance like a fool, but now I will even dance to good disco. I took cotillion for a year, so I know a few classical steps, but that 7th grade all I remember of my partners are sweaty white gloves.

The best place to dance for me is out of my element, free form and out of state.

I used to breakdance in high school. Now my back and legs are so tight I can barely do a cartwheel.