What mass of water freezes?

• Thread starter rahiem01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Water
In summary, 30 kg of water at 10°C is mixed with 360 kg of ice at -7°C. The heat capacity of water is 4190 J/(kg * °C), that of ice is 2090 J/ (kg *°C), and the heat of fusion of water is 3.34 * 10^{5} J/kg. This results in a change in mass of 360 kg of ice and 30 kg of water.
rahiem01
1. 30 kg of water at 10°C is mixed with 360 kg of ice at -7°C. (The heat capacity of water is 4190 J/(kg * °C), that of ice is 2090 J/ (kg *°C), and the heat of fusion of water is 3.34 * 10[tex]^{5}[/tex] J/kg

1. What mass of water freezes?

Homework Equations

none that I know of.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was wondering if this is a conceptual question, being that the mass of water wouldn't change, only the density?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, this is a quantitative question.

Have you heard about heat balance? q= m c delta T? Latent heat?

yeah, i know of that. I wasn't sure if I was over thinking it.

So build a heat balance and check what happens.

okay, to make sure I'm on the right track.

[tex]Q_{water}[/tex] + [tex]Q_{ice}[/tex] = 0, where Q = mc delta T.

I then solve for T, plug back into [tex]Q_{water}[/tex] then solve for m?

Not that easy - you have to account for latent heat. Ice will either melt or water will freeze before equilibrium. Could be you will end with just water or just ice in the end - although the way question is worded suggests otherwise.

okay, i understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure how to set up the equation to account for the latent heat.

What does your book/notes say about?

I think I am undertsanding the concept. I need to find the amount of energy to go from
10°C of water to -7°C of ice .

[tex]Q_{ice}[/tex] = m[tex]L_{c}[/tex], where m = mass and [tex]L_{c}[/tex] = 3.34 X [tex]10^{5}[/tex]

Correct. Now you just have to combine all these pieces.

okay thanks for the info. i'll put it together and post a solution.

so do I do

[tex]Q_{water}[/tex] + [tex]Q_{ice}[/tex] = 0

[tex]m_{water}[/tex][tex]c_{water}[/tex]([tex]T_{2}[/tex] -[tex]T_{1}[/tex]) + [tex]m_{ice}[/tex][tex]L[/tex] = 0

I like to think about these problems as "what gets cooled= what get warmer"

The water is getting cooler= the ice getting warmer.

The water is going to go from 10_c to water at 0_c, then some (or all) of the water is going to turn from water at 0_c to ice at 0_c = ice goes from -7_c to ice at 0_c then from ice at 0_c to water at 0_c

Thank you. that makes a lot more sense to me now. i appreciate the help

1. What is the freezing point of water?

The freezing point of water is 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. How much water can freeze at once?

The amount of water that can freeze at once depends on the container or surface the water is on. Generally, water will freeze layer by layer, so the amount that can freeze at once will depend on the surface area of the container or surface.

3. What mass of water freezes at 0 degrees Celsius?

One gram of water will freeze at 0 degrees Celsius. However, the amount of water that can freeze at this temperature will depend on the container or surface area, as mentioned before.

4. Can water freeze at temperatures above 0 degrees Celsius?

Yes, water can freeze at temperatures above 0 degrees Celsius if the pressure is increased. This is known as supercooling and can result in the water freezing instantly once disturbed.

5. How does the mass of water affect its freezing point?

The mass of water does not directly affect its freezing point. However, the amount of water present can affect the cooling rate and therefore the time it takes for the water to freeze. The density of water also increases as it freezes, which can affect the volume of the frozen water compared to the liquid water.