Who is Richard Borcherds and What is His Contribution to QFT?

• Thread starter mitchell porter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft
In summary, Richard Borcherds is a British mathematician known for his contributions to quantum field theory (QFT). He is best known for his work on vertex operator algebras, which are mathematical structures used to model symmetries in quantum mechanics. Borcherds also made significant contributions to the theory of automorphic forms and modular forms, as well as the study of lattices and coding theory. His groundbreaking work has had a major impact on the field of QFT and has earned him numerous awards and accolades, including the Fields Medal in 1998.
mitchell porter
Gold Member
Richard Borcherds is a mathematician who won a Fields Medal for work involving conformal field theory. In recent years, he has been working on a rigorous formulation of perturbative QFT. http://arxiv.org/abs/1008.0129" , though somewhat technical, might interest the "foundations of QFT" people in this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mitchell porter said:
Richard Borcherds is a mathematician who won a Fields Medal for work involving conformal field theory. In recent years, he has been working on a rigorous formulation of perturbative QFT.
Perturbative QFT was rigorously under control already in the last century. The unsolved foundational questions are about the nonperturbative aspects, in particular the infrared behavior.
mitchell porter said:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1008.0129" , though somewhat technical, might interest the "foundations of QFT" people in this forum.
''somewhat technical'' is very mild. The paper is _very_ abstract. Could you please summarize its content in a way that is intelligible on the level where we discuss here the foundations of QFT?

A. Neumaier said:
Could you please summarize its content in a way that is intelligible on the level where we discuss here the foundations of QFT?
He covers free field theories, interacting field theories, regularization and renormalization, and anomalies of gauge theories in a few dozen pages, in the lemma/theorem/proof style of a mathematics paper. It might best be read in conjunction with Borcherds's http://arxiv.org/abs/math-ph/0204014" , which do more to physically motivate the choice of formalism.

I don't know the "constructive QFT" literature and can't say how original or unusual Borcherds's approach is, but it strikes me as exceptionally compact, and as an opportunity to learn a pure-maths perspective on some of the aspects of QFT practice which are otherwise "algorithmic" - physicists know what to do to get a number, but they may not be able to put a name to what they are doing. The paper won't teach you this maths, but it may tell you what you need to learn about (Hopf algebras, cohomology, etc).

mitchell porter said:
He covers free field theories, interacting field theories, regularization and renormalization, and anomalies of gauge theories in a few dozen pages, in the lemma/theorem/proof style of a mathematics paper. It might best be read in conjunction with Borcherds's http://arxiv.org/abs/math-ph/0204014" , which do more to physically motivate the choice of formalism.

I don't know the "constructive QFT" literature and can't say how original or unusual Borcherds's approach is, but it strikes me as exceptionally compact, and as an opportunity to learn a pure-maths perspective on some of the aspects of QFT practice which are otherwise "algorithmic" - physicists know what to do to get a number, but they may not be able to put a name to what they are doing. The paper won't teach you this maths, but it may tell you what you need to learn about (Hopf algebras, cohomology, etc).
Thanks. Both his paper and his lecture notes are exclusively about perturbative QFT.

The Hopf algebra approach organizes perturbative renormalization calculations in a very efficient way, though it is also very abstract, and hard to translate into actual recipes fro proceeding with actual calculations. I can't do it, but some have done it successfully and computed some simple (nonrealistic) theories to very high order.

Hopf algebras also organize the computations needed to derive high order Runge-Kutta methods for solving ODE's, and there seems to be a connection.

On the other hand, constructive QFT is about deriving nonperturbative, non-approximate
information about a field theory. I haven't seen Hopf algebras contribute there, except that exactly solvable 2D field theories can be explained in these terms - in both cases, one encounters Yang-Baxter equations at the root of important things. But I haven't gotten around to understanding this in depth; a good exposition of the relations between Hopf algebra techniques and exactly solvable QFTs - perhaps you can point to something?

Sorry, topics like: Yang-Baxter equation, R-matrix, Bethe ansatz, various solvable models... are too far from what I know about. I am studying AdS/CFT, and apparently they show up there, so maybe they will finally become meaningful to me in that context.

However, the http://maths.anu.edu.au/events/Baxter2000/abstracts.html" (never made into a paper, and the speaker is now dead) proposed to use sine-Gordon model and O(N) sigma model as examples of 2D field theories where S-matrix could be derived using Yang-Baxter. So if I were investigating this subject, I would begin with the literature on those two models.

mitchell porter said:
Sorry, topics like: Yang-Baxter equation, R-matrix, Bethe ansatz, various solvable models... are too far from what I know about. I am studying AdS/CFT, and apparently they show up there, so maybe they will finally become meaningful to me in that context.
Yang-Baxter equations govern the 2-particle S-matrix in exactly solvable CFT models.
mitchell porter said:
use sine-Gordon model and O(N) sigma model as examples of 2D field theories where S-matrix could be derived using Yang-Baxter.
Yes, there is a huge literature on this - mostly either messy or cryptic or both. I understand the matter superficially (only).

A. Neumaier said:
Perturbative QFT was rigorously under control already in the last century.

What exactly do you mean? My impression is that it still is not.

martinbn said:
What exactly do you mean? My impression is that it still is not.
What exactly do you mean?

The rules for perturbative QFT (including renormalization) are laid down in every QFT textbook, and their rigorous treatment gives precisely the same results, though it is derived in a less casual manner. For QED, see the QED book by Steinmann; for gauge theories, see the ghost story book by Scharf.

A. Neumaier said:
What exactly do you mean?

The rules for perturbative QFT (including renormalization) are laid down in every QFT textbook, and their rigorous treatment gives precisely the same results, though it is derived in a less casual manner. For QED, see the QED book by Steinmann; for gauge theories, see the ghost story book by Scharf.

As I said it was my impression, and most probably I am wrong, that's why I am asking. May be I should have asked first what you consider rigorous. My impression was that none of the things on the list above was rigorous. Renormalization, divergent series, path integrals...

martinbn said:
As I said it was my impression, and most probably I am wrong, that's why I am asking. May be I should have asked first what you consider rigorous. My impression was that none of the things on the list above was rigorous. Renormalization, divergent series, path integrals...
The usual presentations are far from rigorous (and don't try to be so), but there are mathematically impeccable versions in the books mentioned. The series is considered mathematically as a formal power series; this leaves the question of the convergence of the perturbation series open (it most likely isn't).

The unsolved challenges are in going rigorously beyond perturbation theory, i.e., finding a formulation where one can evaluate the full scattering expressions at a finite value of the coupling constant.

You can read more about that in Chapter B5 ''Divergences and renormalization'' of my theoretical physics FAQ at http://arnold-neumaier.at/physfaq/physics-faq.html#B5

Thanks, I will take a look at it, also Steinamann, and Scharf.

1. What is QFT?

QFT stands for Quantum Field Theory, which is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It combines principles from quantum mechanics and special relativity to explain the interactions between particles and the creation and annihilation of particles in a field.

2. Who is Richard Borcherds?

Richard Borcherds is a renowned mathematician and physicist known for his contributions to the fields of representation theory, algebraic geometry, and mathematical physics. He is a professor at the University of California, Berkeley and has received numerous awards for his work, including the Fields Medal in 1998.

3. What are Richard Borcherds' contributions to QFT?

Borcherds' work on QFT has mainly focused on mathematical aspects of the theory, particularly in the area of vertex algebras and their relation to quantum field theories. He has also made significant contributions to the study of conformal field theories and their applications in string theory and quantum gravity.

4. How has Richard Borcherds' work impacted the field of QFT?

Borcherds' work has had a significant impact on the field of QFT, particularly in the mathematical understanding of the theory. His contributions have helped to bridge the gap between theoretical physics and pure mathematics, leading to new insights and developments in both fields.

5. What are some current research areas in QFT that Richard Borcherds is involved in?

Currently, Borcherds is involved in research on topological quantum field theories, which are mathematical models used to explain the properties of quantum systems. He is also studying the applications of QFT in string theory and its connections to other branches of mathematics such as algebraic geometry and number theory.