Calculating the Radius of a Banked Curve Using Newton's Second Law

In summary, the conversation is about determining the radius of a curve on a slick road with a car traveling at a speed of 23.0 m/s. The person was considering using Newton's second law with a = v(squared)/R, but was unsure if it would work. They were then guided to do a forces analysis and use Ncosθ = mg and Nsinθ = ma_c to solve for R. After some confusion, they realized that the correct equation is R = (v^2)/(tanθ g) and thanked the expert for their help.
mikep
can someone please help me, i can't figure out where the angle on the free body diagram for this problem. i was thinking of using Newton's second law with a = v(squared)/R would this work?

A car goes around a curve on a road that is banked at an angle of 27.0°. Even though the road is slick, the car will stay on the road without any friction between its tires and the road when its speed is 23.0 m/s. What is the radius of the curve?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the forces analysis and find which force component is working as the centripetal force.

well there is no friction force so the only thing pushing it to the center would be the acceleration, is that right?

Actually it will be a component of the normal force, try to draw all the forces on our particle, Normal and weight.

oh ok so
sumF = Ncosθ = m ((v^2)/R)

sumFy = Nsinθ - mg = 0

i used this and i solved for R = (v^2)/cotθ but i didn't get the correct answer. can you please tell me what i did wrong?

[tex] Ncos\theta = mg[/tex]

[tex] Nsin\theta = ma_{c}[/tex]

Look at the triangle...

oh i get it. its R = (v^2)/(tanθ g)
thank you for your help!

What is the definition of radius of a curve?

The radius of a curve is the distance from the center of the curve to any point on the curve. It is represented by the symbol "r" and is used to measure the curvature of the curve at a specific point.

How is the radius of a curve calculated?

The radius of a curve can be calculated using various mathematical formulas, depending on the type of curve. For example, the radius of a circle is calculated by dividing the diameter by 2, while the radius of a parabola is calculated using the formula r = (4a + b^2)/(8a), where "a" and "b" are constants. In general, the radius of a curve can be calculated by finding the distance between the curve and its center at a given point.

Why is the radius of a curve important?

The radius of a curve is important because it helps us understand the shape and characteristics of a curve. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to analyze and describe the behavior of curves. It also plays a crucial role in determining the curvature of a curve, which is important in many real-world applications.

Can the radius of a curve be negative?

Yes, the radius of a curve can be negative. This usually occurs in curves with a concave shape, such as a parabola or hyperbola. A negative radius indicates that the curve is curving in the opposite direction of a positive radius, or towards the inside of its center. However, in most cases, the radius of a curve is a positive value.

How does the radius of a curve relate to the diameter?

The diameter of a circle is equal to the radius multiplied by 2. This relationship also applies to other curves, such as ellipses and hyperbolas, where the diameter can be calculated by multiplying the radius by a constant factor. In general, the diameter is twice the radius of a curve, and knowing one value can help us determine the other.