Estimating Car Engine Temp. with Load: A Simplified Approach

In summary, the temperature at which the car will idle and the temperature at which it will operate with the AC on will be different depending on the load.
Zver
Hello
Can someone tell me basic equation of car engine temp. that depends on load.
I don't need a precise equation - i need something simplified for simulation.

Science news on Phys.org
Not really (certainly not at this point).

Which temperature; combustion, coolant (where it's measured and displayed in the dash), exhaust, drivers side rear tire sidewall, passenger AC vent, etc.?

And why is whichever temperature you specified going to change with load? My assumption is that you're asking about the temperature that is displayed in the dash, which is coolant temperature at some location such as the cylinder head. This won't change much with load unless the cooling system is either underloaded (??) or overloaded. A normal car has a thermostat in the cooling system that opens and closes, which will maintain a certain temperature range that will be mostly independant of load.

My assumption is also that you will be looking for something else like how much HEAT you will need to remove via the cooling system for a certain load range.

I might be wrong, but at this point we can only guess at what you want and really need.

ASE certified master mechanic here...

As stated above engine temperature is controlled with a thermostat, but the thermostat does not simply open and close, it is not digital, in can be part way open. Most thermostats are set to start opening at about 195 degrees F and be fully open at about 210. Probably 98% of the driving you do is in this window, but that's not the end of the story. There are extreme conditions that the car is engineered to operate in which may have the thermostat fully closed or fully open. Most modern cars use electrical controlled cooling fans. There are various configurations but they all let the computer scale cooling fan operation to match load and conditions. Some GM models do not max out the cooling fans until coolant temperature reaches 225 degrees. So to answer your question...

A car idling, with the heat on, in Alaska in January should reach an operating temperature of about 175 degrees, the thermostat will never open at all but the computer will keep the car at a high idle to generate heat for the cabin.

The same car, fully loaded and towing it's maximum load at wide open throttle up a steep hill in death Vally during a heat wave in August with the AC on full blast will get to about 230.

Anything cooler or hotter then that range indicates there is a problem

Gearhead/Return ME student/Chemical Process Operator...

I'm not sure if you think we have a different understanding of thermostats, but we don't. I think your post is a very good (and more considerate) elaboration of my post. Your specific examples are exactly what I was talking about, although I used "load" referring to engine load and then "underloaded/overleaded" in reference to the cooling system in the same sentence, which was not a good idea.

Hello there,

Thank you for your question. I can provide some information about estimating car engine temperature with load.

The basic equation for estimating car engine temperature with load is:

T = T0 + (Q/C)

Where:
T: Engine temperature (in Kelvin)
T0: Initial temperature of the engine (in Kelvin)
Q: Heat generated by the engine (in Joules)
C: Engine specific heat capacity (in Joules/Kelvin)

This equation is simplified for simulation purposes and does not take into account other factors such as air flow, engine size, and cooling system efficiency. It is important to note that this equation is a simplified approach and may not provide precise results.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is the purpose of estimating car engine temperature with load?

The purpose of estimating car engine temperature with load is to monitor and regulate the temperature of the engine to prevent overheating or damage. This is particularly important in high-performance or heavy-duty vehicles where the engine may be under a lot of strain.

How does load affect engine temperature?

Load refers to the amount of work or strain placed on the engine. The more load on the engine, the harder it has to work and the more heat it generates. This can cause the engine temperature to rise, potentially leading to overheating if not properly regulated.

What factors can impact the accuracy of the estimation?

There are several factors that can impact the accuracy of the estimation, including the quality and calibration of the temperature sensors, the accuracy of the load measurement, and external factors such as ambient temperature and air flow. It is important to regularly calibrate and maintain these components for more accurate estimations.

Are there any risks associated with relying on this simplified approach?

As with any estimation or prediction, there is always a margin of error. Relying solely on this simplified approach may not provide an accurate representation of the actual engine temperature. It is important to use this approach as a guide and regularly check the engine temperature using more precise methods.

How can this simplified approach be improved?

This simplified approach can be improved by incorporating more advanced technology, such as using more precise temperature sensors and load measurement tools. It can also be improved by factoring in external variables, such as the vehicle's speed and driving conditions, to provide a more accurate estimation.