Naming Organic Compounds - 2,3-chloro-methyl-4-bromo pentene - Homework Help

In summary, the compound in question is 2-chloro-3-methyl-4-bromo pentene, as determined by the conversation and the attached image. The use of "bromo" indicates the presence of a bromine atom in the compound.
Ziro

Homework Statement

Name the following Compound

Homework Equations

I attached an image of the compound

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt, although I don't know if it's correct or not, because I don't have an answer key.

2,3-chloro-methyl-4-bromo pentene

but after taking a second look, I would think it would be

2,2-chloro-methyl-4-bromo pentene

I don't think it's right though, I don't think i should be using bromo for the Br that is bonded with CH.

Any help?

Attachments

• namethatcompound.jpg
    namethatcompound.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see a double bond here. That is, on the picture it may look like there is one, but it would mean two pentavalent carbons, not to mention fact that if so, you will need to tell if it is Z or E.

Number is given just before the substituent name, so not 2,3-chloro-methyl... but 2-chloro-3-methyl... But sort them alphabetically first.

Ah, you're right, there are no double bonds. Thanks for the reply, I have a better understanding now. Am I correct in assuming that bromo is used for Br though? Thanks.

yes, you are correct!

The correct name for this compound is 2-chloro-3-methyl-4-bromopent-1-ene. The key is to prioritize the numbering of the parent chain (pentene) so that the substituents (chloro, methyl, and bromo) are assigned the lowest possible numbers. In this case, the numbering begins from the end closest to the double bond, giving the substituents the lowest possible numbers. Additionally, the substituents are listed in alphabetical order, so bromo comes before chloro. Therefore, the correct name is 2-chloro-3-methyl-4-bromopent-1-ene.

1. What is the purpose of naming organic compounds?

The purpose of naming organic compounds is to have a standardized way of identifying and communicating the chemical structure and properties of a compound. This allows scientists to easily refer to and discuss specific compounds without confusion.

2. How are organic compounds named?

Organic compounds are named using a system called IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry) nomenclature. This system assigns a unique name to each compound based on its chemical structure and functional groups.

3. What are common functional groups in organic compounds?

Some common functional groups in organic compounds include alcohols, aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, amines, and ethers. These groups can significantly affect the chemical and physical properties of a compound.

4. How do you determine the parent chain in organic compound naming?

The parent chain in organic compound naming is determined by identifying the longest continuous chain of carbon atoms. This chain is chosen as the parent chain, and the compound is named based on the functional groups attached to it.

5. Are there any exceptions to the IUPAC naming system?

While the IUPAC naming system is generally used for most organic compounds, there are some exceptions. For example, common names are still used for some compounds, and some compounds may have multiple acceptable IUPAC names depending on the context in which they are being used.