Proof with natural numbers and sequences of functions

In summary, the homework statement is saying that there exists an N such that for every j >= N, |f(i,n)−g(n)|<epsilon for every n\in N. Additionally, for every fixed j\in N, (f(i,n)) converges. To prove that (g(n)) converges, you need to use the Cauchy criterion for a sequence to be convergent.
davitykale

Homework Statement

For every epsilon > 0, there exists an N\in N such that, for every j >= N, |f(i,n) - g(n)|<epsilon for every n\in N. In addition, for every fixed j\in N, (f(i,n)) converges. Prove that (g(n)) converges.

Homework Equations

f: N x N --> R, g: N --> R

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to do, especially since we're dealing with domains of N and not R...

Physics news on Phys.org
davitykale said:

Homework Statement

For every epsilon > 0, there exists an N\in N such that, for every j >= N, |f(i,n) - g(n)|<epsilon for every n\in N. In addition, for every fixed j\in N, (f(i,n)) converges. Prove that (g(n)) converges.

Homework Equations

f: N x N --> R, g: N --> R

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to do, especially since we're dealing with domains of N and not R...

Do you know about the Cauchy criteria for a sequence to be convergent? Prove g is a cauchy sequence by getting the fi near it and using the fact that they are Cauchy.

Does the "fixed i\in N" imply that f(i,n) converges pointwise? I only know the cauchy criterion for uniform convergence

davitykale said:
Does the "fixed i\in N" imply that f(i,n) converges pointwise? I only know the cauchy criterion for uniform convergence

I prefer the notation fi(n). For each i, fi is a function on the integers, that is, a sequence. It doesn't make sense to talk about fi converging pointwise for a given i. For each i, {fi(n)} is a convergent sequence. For example, f1 might be the sequence:

f1(1) = 1
f1(2) = 1/2
f1(3) = 1/4
f1(4) = 1/8
f1(2) = 1/2n

which is a convergent sequence.

What does make sense is to say fi → g pointwise and you might ask yourself whether fi → g uniformly on N, given the statement of the problem.

Is this something like what you meant:

|f(i,n)−f(i,m)| = |f (i, n) − g(n) + g(n) − g(m) + g(m) − f (i, m)|
≤ |f (i, n) − g(n)| + |g(n) − g(m)| + |g(m) − f (i, m)|

Or does what I'm doing make any sense at all in terms of solving the problem?

1. What is the significance of using natural numbers in proofs?

Natural numbers, also known as counting numbers, are the most basic set of numbers in mathematics. They are used in proofs to establish the existence and properties of mathematical objects, such as integers and real numbers. Proofs with natural numbers are often considered simpler and more intuitive compared to proofs with other types of numbers.

2. How are sequences of functions used in proofs?

Sequences of functions are used in proofs to study the behavior of a sequence of numbers as its index increases. They are particularly useful in proving the convergence or divergence of a series, which is a sum of infinitely many terms. By analyzing the behavior of the sequence of functions, we can determine the behavior of the series it represents.

3. Can natural numbers and sequences of functions be used together in a proof?

Yes, natural numbers and sequences of functions can be used together in a proof. For example, in a proof involving the convergence or divergence of a series, we may use the natural numbers to index the terms of the series and use sequences of functions to analyze the behavior of the terms as the index increases.

4. How do we prove a statement using natural numbers and sequences of functions?

The proof will depend on the specific statement being proven. Generally, we start by stating the statement we want to prove and then use logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to show that it is true. This may involve using definitions, properties, and theorems related to natural numbers and sequences of functions.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using natural numbers and sequences of functions in a proof?

One common mistake is assuming that a statement is true for all natural numbers without providing a rigorous proof. It is important to provide a clear and logical argument for why a statement is true for all natural numbers. Another mistake is using incorrect or incomplete definitions or properties of natural numbers and sequences of functions in the proof. It is important to have a solid understanding of these concepts before attempting to use them in a proof.