Mathematica not plotting for me

In summary, if Mathematica is not plotting for you, it could be due to incorrect syntax, missing packages or functions, or an error in your code. To fix this issue, check your syntax, make sure necessary packages are loaded, and consider restarting Mathematica or debugging your code. If your plotted graph is blank or empty, ensure that your data or function is correct and adjust the plot's options. Troubleshooting a plot in Mathematica can involve breaking down the code and consulting documentation or online forums. Additionally, you can export your plot to other formats in Mathematica.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

I've been trying to plot

Plot[x^2/4 - ln[x]/2, {x, 0, 5}]

And it keeps showing me a blank graph. I did it on Wolframalpha and it worked.

Physics news on Phys.org
A blank graph means it didn't understand something in your expression. In this case it is ln[x], which needs to be Log[x]. Try:

Plot[x^2/4 - Log[x]/2, {x, 0, 5}]

thanks

1. Why is Mathematica not plotting for me?

There could be several reasons why Mathematica is not plotting for you. Some common reasons include incorrect syntax in your input, missing necessary packages or functions, or incompatible data types. It is also possible that there is an error in your code that is preventing the plot from being generated.

2. How do I fix Mathematica not plotting for me?

If you are unsure of the exact reason why Mathematica is not plotting for you, start by checking your syntax and making sure you have all the necessary packages and functions loaded. You can also try restarting Mathematica or clearing the current notebook and starting over. If the issue persists, you may need to carefully review and debug your code to identify any errors.

3. Why is my plotted graph blank or empty?

If your plotted graph appears blank or empty, it is likely that the data or function you are trying to plot does not produce any values in the range of your plot. Make sure that your data or function is correct and that the plot's range is appropriate. You can also try adjusting the plot's options, such as the plot range or plot style, to see if that resolves the issue.

4. How can I troubleshoot my plot in Mathematica?

If you are having trouble with your plot in Mathematica, one recommended approach is to break down your code into smaller, simpler parts and test each part individually. This can help you identify where the issue is occurring and make it easier to debug. You can also consult the Mathematica documentation or online forums for additional troubleshooting tips and techniques.

5. Can I export my plot from Mathematica to another format?

Yes, Mathematica allows you to export your plotted graphs to a variety of formats, such as PDF, JPEG, and PNG. Simply right-click on the plot and select "Save Graphic As" to choose your desired format. You can also use the Export function to export your plot programmatically.