Learning the Finite Element Method: A Practical Guide for Engineers

In summary, Niles is looking for recommendations for a book on the Finite Element Method that focuses on understanding and implementing the method rather than just finding solutions. One suggestion is "Applied Finite Element Analysis" by Larry J. Segerlind, which covers various applications and includes programming examples. Another recommendation is by S.S.Rao, which covers membranes, solids, and special purpose elements. The conversation also includes an offer to send a walkthrough for implementing 2D truss/beam elements from a course.
Niles
Hi guys

I wish to self-study the Finite Element Method. I am mostly interested in learning how to understand and implement the method rather than to investigate if a solution exists, i.e. I wish to follow the "engineering-approach" rather than the "mathematician-approach".

Do you have any recommendations for a book?

Niles.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's a bit dated now, but "Applied Finite Element Analysis" (2. ed.) by Larry J. Segerlind gives a good introduction to basic 2-D FEA. The book itself covers several different FE applications and includes programming examples in Fortran 77. This edition appeared in 1985 and you might be able to download it from the internet. Well worth a look.

There are many old books that seem to do what you want. They often have code listings, but it can be easier to understand the equations than 70's/80's style Fortran mess. A classic is by S.S.Rao which covers membranes, solids, quadratic elements, and some special purpose ones.

If you want I can send you a very concise walkthrough for implementing 2D truss/beam elements that I got from a course. You can then extended that with help from a textbook.

Unrest said:
If you want I can send you a very concise walkthrough for implementing 2D truss/beam elements that I got from a course. You can then extended that with help from a textbook.

Thanks, I would be very much interested in that! I'll PM you my email.

And thanks for all the suggestions so far.

1. What is the Finite Element Method (FEM)?

The Finite Element Method is a numerical technique used to solve partial differential equations and to model and analyze complex engineering and scientific problems. It divides a complex system into smaller, simpler elements and uses mathematical equations to approximate the behavior of each element. These equations are then solved to determine the overall behavior of the entire system.

2. What are the advantages of using FEM?

FEM allows for more accurate and realistic simulations of complex systems, as it can handle nonlinear behavior, irregular geometries, and multiple physical phenomena. It also allows for more efficient use of computational resources, as only a small portion of the system needs to be modeled at a time.

3. What are the limitations of FEM?

FEM requires a significant amount of computational resources and can be time-consuming, especially for large and complex systems. It also relies on simplifying assumptions and approximations, which can lead to less accurate results if not carefully considered.

4. What are some real-life applications of FEM?

FEM is commonly used in engineering fields such as structural analysis, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetics. It is also used in physics, biology, and other scientific disciplines to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena.

5. How does FEM compare to other numerical methods?

FEM is a versatile and powerful numerical method that can handle a wide range of problems and is often preferred over other methods, such as the finite difference method or the boundary element method, due to its ability to model complex geometries and behaviors. However, the choice of method depends on the specific problem and its requirements.