What do you do during the holidays?

• Thread starter ManiFresh
  • Start date
In summary, the guys take breaks from college to do things like go on holiday, spend time with friends and family, work out, and read books about other topics. They all find ways to keep their minds fresh and returning to studying after a break is usually easy.
ManiFresh
What do you guy's do to keep your mind fresh when you have a really long break from college? read ahead, review...?

Physics news on Phys.org
I buy the books I'll be using in my classes during the next semester, and I work through them. Otherwise, I self-study from books I already have.

Read psudo-technical books (I just bought Flatland and Div,Grad,Curl).

I take a well deserved break from studying and go on holiday, spend time with friends, family and girlfriend, work out and read books about other stuff than physics or maths.

The only thing I do is looking ahead which courses I will take next year and that always takes me about a week to go through them and choose.

In the past it depended a lot on what I can afford - either a trip somewhere, go home to visit family, or a book in some subject I've been curious about but don't have time to fit into my class schedule next year at the time, in order of decreasing preference, lol. Although as of last weekend me and my gf are now long distance, so that makes the question pretty easy, lol

I go to my country house and spend time there, beautiful grounds, it gives me peace of mind.

If I feel my mind is back to normality, then I buy the texts used for the next semester courses. An interesting thing to do will be to read "practical things" about the courses that you have planned to take next semester. For example, if you have planned to take a course on Algorithms then you can look at the other side of it, the practical side of algorithms, where and how it is used...the non-academic side, it gives me a lot of intuition on the subject.

Working on campus, relaxing and studying. I don't study for the next semester but review some stuff I forgot, or learn a proof I put off during the semester, read some journals and
on an area I am interested. Where ever I fill there was a hole in my foundation, I put all the effort during the summer to relearn and understand it.

abiyo said:
Working on campus, relaxing and studying. I don't study for the next semester but review some stuff I forgot, or learn a proof I put off during the semester, read some journals and
on an area I am interested. Where ever I fill there was a hole in my foundation, I put all the effort during the summer to relearn and understand it.

Ditto.

Also, Div Grad Curl is a psuedo technical book?

QuarkCharmer said:
Ditto.

Also, Div Grad Curl is a psuedo technical book?

My point was that it is not a textbook, perhaps that wasn't the best choice of words ;)

Go bargain on Amazon for next year's books lol

1. What types of experiments do you conduct during the holidays?

As a scientist, my experiments and research do not stop simply because it is a holiday. I may still conduct experiments in my lab, but they may be more focused on holiday-related topics or themes. For example, I may study the effects of holiday foods on the human body or the chemistry behind different types of holiday decorations.

2. Do you take a break from your work during the holidays?

While I may still conduct experiments during the holidays, I do make sure to take breaks and spend time with my friends and family. It is important to have a work-life balance, and the holidays provide a great opportunity for me to recharge and relax.

3. Do you have any holiday traditions related to your scientific work?

I do not have any specific holiday traditions related to my scientific work, but I do enjoy incorporating science into my holiday celebrations. For example, I may create fun science-themed decorations or gifts for my loved ones.

4. How do you balance your work and personal life during the busy holiday season?

The holiday season can be a busy time for everyone, including scientists. To balance my work and personal life, I prioritize my tasks and make sure to schedule time for both work and holiday activities. I also try to delegate tasks and ask for help when needed.

5. Do you have any tips for staying productive during the holidays?

One tip for staying productive during the holidays is to set realistic goals and deadlines for yourself. It can be easy to get overwhelmed with holiday activities, so having a plan in place can help you stay on track with your work. It is also important to take breaks and rest when needed to avoid burnout.