Choose a topic for my my project.

In summary, the conversation is about choosing a topic for a project in applied mathematics. The person is interested in topics such as differential equations and biomathematics and has received suggestions for topics such as the heat equation, Sturm-Liouville theory, and spherical harmonics. They have also been recommended to look into modeling crime and the protein folding problem.
yaya10
Choose a topic for my my project. please help

Hello There,

I am doing a Project next semster and my supervisor has asked me to choice a topic.

I do maths and I would like to a project in Applied maths say Differential equations or so.

Please help me with choosing a topic.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

The Heat equation?
Sturm-Liouville theory?
Spherical harmonics?

Some more information could be helpful...

yaya10 said:
Hello There,

I am doing a Project next semster and my supervisor has asked me to choice a topic.

I do maths and I would like to a project in Applied maths say Differential equations or so.

Please help me with choosing a topic.

Thank you

I recently attended a talk where some applied maths guys were modeling crime via differential equations. Kind of cool, actually. They had some data from the Los Angeles Police Department and were able to "predict" where future crime events would occur.

Hi micromass,

Thanks for your response.

Actually I need something related to Biomathematics.

Modelling and Biomathimatics

thank you.

Geezer said:
I recently attended a talk where some applied maths guys were modeling crime via differential equations. Kind of cool, actually. They had some data from the Los Angeles Police Department and were able to "predict" where future crime events would occur.

Thats cool. I have to look up some articles about this.

Thanks alot:)

Mayhaps the protein folding problem?

What is the best approach to choosing a topic for my project?

The best approach to choosing a topic for your project is to first identify your interests and strengths. Consider what you are passionate about and what you have expertise in. Then, research current trends and gaps in knowledge in your field. Finally, brainstorm potential topics and narrow down your options based on feasibility and potential impact.

How do I ensure that my chosen topic is relevant and meaningful?

To ensure that your chosen topic is relevant and meaningful, it is important to consider the current state of your field and any ongoing debates or discussions. Additionally, seek feedback from peers or experts in your field to ensure that your topic is timely and has the potential to contribute to existing knowledge.

What if I am struggling to come up with a topic for my project?

If you are struggling to come up with a topic for your project, try brainstorming with a group or seeking inspiration from previous research in your field. You can also consult with your instructor or a mentor for guidance and suggestions.

How can I make sure my project topic is feasible and manageable?

To make sure your project topic is feasible and manageable, consider the resources and time available to you. It is important to choose a topic that you can realistically complete within the given timeframe and with the resources you have access to. You may also need to adjust or refine your topic as you conduct research and gather more information.

Is it okay to change my project topic after I have already started working on it?

It is okay to change your project topic after you have started working on it, as long as you have a valid reason and seek approval from your instructor or mentor. However, it is important to consider the potential impact on your timeline and resources, and make sure that the new topic is relevant and meaningful to your overall research goals.