Transition from Math Theory to Practice w/ Computing Systems

• Thread starter dslowik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, applying theoretical math knowledge in practical settings often involves using systems like R, numpy/scipy, and sage, which offer various tools for solving math problems. However, these systems may use different terminology and techniques compared to what is taught in traditional math courses. For example, the function "solve()" in numpy and R may only work for invertible matrices, despite its name suggesting it can solve any system of linear equations. To transition from learning math to using it in computing systems, people often use resources like Numerical Recipes, search engines, and online forums for specific functions and techniques related to the software they are using.
dslowik
In applying theoretical math knowledge we use systems like R, numpy/scipy, sage etc. These systems provide a suit of tools to solve math problems. However the 'language' can be quite different from wht we learn in our (theoretical) math courses. For example I know how to solve a system of linear equations from any standard linear algebra text, but when I go into numpy or R I am lead to the function: solve() -solve a system of linear equations. If you read far enough down into the description of this function however, you find that it really only solves systems where the LHS is given by an invertable matrix. With a name like solve and a description as given, I would think that it might provide the rank, nullity, a basis for the kernel and the image, the homogenous solution and a particular solution -that would 'solve' it.

So my question is, how (maybe what book) are people transitioning from learning math to using it within these powerful computing systems? e.g. from knowing about linear algebra to using Cholesky decomposition, QR factorization, SVD etc? Currently I am using Numerical Recipes, and google searching functions alluded to by the computer systems documentation -often a wiki page describing the technique...

Physics news on Phys.org
There are books, but the best way to learn these math softwares is to use Google. Search with what you want to do (in layman terms) and mention the software. This is the way I am learning Matlab.

Another good option is to keep an eye on forums regarding the softwares. I learned a lot from the Math software forum in PF. Often you will find quests on functions that you don't know. Search Google and read the documentation. That's how you learn.

What is the importance of transitioning from math theory to practice with computing systems?

Theoretical math concepts can often be abstract and difficult to apply in real-world situations. By incorporating computing systems, we can create tangible models and simulations to better understand and apply math theories in practical settings.

What are some examples of how computing systems can be used in math applications?

Computing systems can be used to solve complex equations, create visualizations of mathematical concepts, and analyze large sets of data. They can also be used for optimization and real-time analysis in fields such as finance, engineering, and physics.

What skills are necessary for a successful transition from math theory to practice with computing systems?

Strong mathematical foundations, programming proficiency, and problem-solving skills are essential for a successful transition. Additionally, an understanding of algorithms and data structures is crucial for effectively utilizing computing systems in math applications.

How can one stay updated on the latest developments in computing systems for math applications?

Attending conferences, workshops, and online courses focused on the intersection of math and computing can help one stay updated on the latest developments. Networking with professionals in the field and regularly reading research papers and journals can also be beneficial.

What are some potential challenges one may face when transitioning from math theory to practice with computing systems?

Some potential challenges include learning new programming languages and tools, understanding the limitations and assumptions of models and simulations, and balancing theoretical understanding with practical implementation. It may also require a significant amount of time and effort to become proficient in both math and computing concepts.