Suggestions for a decent experiment i can carry out in a classroom lab

In summary, an experiment to illustrate the conservation of angular momentum could involve a table with a tiny hole in it, a long string with cross area only slightly less than the hole in the table, and two balls which can be attached to each end of the string. The string should be drawn through the hole of the table, and the balls attached to the string should be pushed to the side so that they start to move in a circular fashion about the hole. The ball on the table should start to fall downwards and be drawn upwards in a periodic manner. When the mass sliding atop the table at maximum distance from the hole, it should have the lowest angular velocity. As it is drawn inwards to the hole, it will start rotate faster and faster
mac2000
hi can anyone please suggest an interesting, good practical experiment that i can carry out in a classroom explaining a physics concept. Its a project i have to do. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of angular momentum perhaps?
Would an experiment showing this be of interest?

You can get lasers from most hardware stores these days for about twenty dollars. Having a laser opens up some nice possibilities, Young's two slit experiment would be an obvious start, but you might want to consider doing an experiment on polarisation (this is easy), or, if your audience is a bit older, doing an experiment on laser 'speckle'.

Claude.

arildno said:
Conservation of angular momentum perhaps?
Would an experiment showing this be of interest?

yeah totally any help i can get is great! :)

mac2000 said:
hi can anyone please suggest an interesting, good practical experiment that i can carry out in a classroom explaining a physics concept. Its a project i have to do. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanx

It would help to know (i) the level of physics knowledge of your "audience" (ii) what you have available or at your disposal.

Zz.

Hello Mac 2000. I am not sure of your audience but the concepts might work and you can gear it to the audience (elementary, junior high, seniors, college, adults, etc.) Some of Newtons (maybe Galileo's) observations on pendullum movement is pretty easy to repeat and keeps some interest. You could have a long string with a ball of some type attached to one end. The other end to the ceiling. swing the pendullum and time the cycle movement. Then you could change the length of the string (several times) and do the same experiment. Plot or discuss the pendullum length to the cycle time of the swing.

What have you decided to do in the lab experiment? If you have a younger audience a bucket full of water that you spin around in a large circle using your arm is dramatic. Of course the force and momentum of the water in the bucket will keep it in the bucket and not spilling out when the bucket is overhead.

gyroscopic motion of a bicycle wheel on a rope, or turning it over to cause you to start turning in an office chair is pretty long to explain that might make u seem more knowlegdeable plus it looks cool

mac2000 said:
yeah totally any help i can get is great! :)
Here's an experiment which illustrates conservation of angular momentum:

1) One smooth table, with a tiny hole smoothly drilled through it
(The table/plate must be smooth in order to reduce friction as much as possible.

2) One long string, with cross area only slightly less than the hole in the table.

3) Two bobs/balls of some metal which can be attached to each end of the string.

THE EXPERIMENT:

1. Draw the string through the hole of the table, and attach the two balls at eith end, so that one of the ball lies on the table (quite some distance from the hole), whereas the other hangs free down the vertical (beneath the table)

2. Give the ball on the table a push to the side, so it starts to move in a circular fashion about the hole.

3) What you should see is the following:
a)The vertically hanging mass should fall downwards and be drawn upwards in a periodic manner.
b) When the mass sliding atop the table at maximum distance from the hole, it should have the lowest angular velocity.
As it is drawn inwards to the hole, it will start rotate faster and faster around the hole, until it reaches some minimum distance from the hole. Then it is drawn outwards again until it reaches maximum distance, and the cycle repeats.

If this sounds interesting, let me know..

ZapperZ said:
It would help to know (i) the level of physics knowledge of your "audience" (ii) what you have available or at your disposal.

Zz.

yeah sorry guys i should have. I'm doing it for college so quite a decent standard but also it need to be something that i can obtain results from. Sorry should have mentioned that but i appreciate the help I am getting :)

1. What makes a good experiment for a classroom lab?

A good experiment for a classroom lab should be simple, safe, and easy to follow. It should also be relevant to the students' curriculum and allow them to practice important scientific skills, such as making observations, collecting data, and analyzing results.

2. How do I come up with an original experiment idea?

One way to come up with an original experiment idea is to think about a topic that interests you or the students and then brainstorm ways to test it scientifically. You can also look for inspiration from previous experiments or scientific studies and put your own unique spin on them.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when designing an experiment?

Some common mistakes to avoid when designing an experiment include not having a clear hypothesis, not controlling variables, and not having a large enough sample size. It's also important to make sure the experiment is ethical and does not harm any living beings.

4. What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when conducting an experiment in a classroom lab?

Some safety precautions to keep in mind include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, following all instructions and procedures carefully, and being aware of any potential hazards or risks associated with the experiment. It's also important to have a first aid kit and emergency plan in case of accidents.

5. How can I make sure my experiment is reliable and produces accurate results?

To ensure reliability and accuracy, it's important to repeat the experiment multiple times and have a large enough sample size. It's also important to control variables and eliminate any potential sources of bias. Additionally, using proper measurement techniques and equipment can help produce more accurate results.