Using Cross Product to Find Torque

In summary, the force F = (4.0 N) i + (-2.0 N) k acts on a pebble with position vector r = (2.50 m) j + (-1.3 m) k, relative to the origin. The resulting torque acting on the pebble about a point with coordinates (2.0 m, 3.0 m, 2.0 m) can be found by taking the position vector of the pebble relative to the new point and using vector multiplication. The pebble's position relative to (2, 3, 2) can be found by subtracting the coordinates from its original position vector.
GingerBread27
Force F = (4.0 N) i + (-2.0 N) k acts on a pebble with position vector r = (2.50 m) j + (-1.3 m) k, relative to the origin

What is the resulting torque acting on the pebble about a point with coordinates (2.0 m, 3.0 m, 2.0 m)?

Ok so I just completely forgot how to work with vectors when they are not acting about the origin so can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
The force acts on 2.5j-1-3k respective to your origin.
Find the representation of this point when translating your origin to (2,3,2).

pretty easy, just take the position crss with the force...
(0i+2.5J-1.3K)(4i+0j-2k)
and then, do the first term of hte first equation times all 3 of the 2nd, then the 2nd times all 3, then the 3rd... and you have to remember, an i times an i or a j times a j, etc, is zero... and whichever 2 variables you use, the answer of the multiplication is the variable left out, so i times j is k... and it goes in a triangle like this...
i
k j
and you go from whatever the first one is, times the 2nd one, whatever is across is the letter you use, and if it goes clockwise(i.e. k times i), the vector doesn't affect the answer, if its counter clockwise (i.e. j times i) its negative of whatever the answer is... send me an I am at hobiedude16 if you want any help on the other problems, were just about done

Relative to (0, 0, 0) the pebbles position is (0, 2.5, -1.3). So what is it's position relative to (2, 3, 2)?

haha, my bad, didnt notice you wanted part b of the question
just do vector r minus coordinates and use that instead of vector r, my bad on that one... but same procedure

1. What is torque and why is it important in physics?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is important in physics because it helps us understand how forces act on objects and how they affect the motion of those objects.

2. How is cross product used to find torque?

Cross product is a mathematical operation that involves two vectors and results in a third vector that is perpendicular to both. In the context of torque, cross product is used to find the torque vector by multiplying the force vector and the position vector of the object.

3. What is the right-hand rule and how is it related to cross product?

The right-hand rule is a way to determine the direction of the resulting vector in a cross product. It states that if you point your right hand in the direction of the first vector and curl your fingers towards the second vector, the direction your thumb points in will be the direction of the resulting vector. This is important in finding the direction of torque using cross product.

4. Can cross product be used to find torque for any type of force?

Yes, cross product can be used to find torque for any type of force as long as the force and position vectors are known. This includes both linear and rotational forces.

5. How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is directly related to rotational motion because it is the cause of rotational acceleration. In other words, the presence of torque will cause an object to rotate around an axis. The magnitude of the torque vector also determines the amount of rotational acceleration.