Quantum Fields and Strings: A Course for Mathematicians

In summary, the conversation discussed the book "Quantum Fields and Strings: A Course for Mathematicians" and the prerequisites for reading it. The speaker has a background in physics and some familiarity with pure math. The book is written by mathematicians for mathematicians and assumes knowledge of standard mathematical facts, but also explains some basic concepts in physics. It is recommended for advanced graduate students or PhD's, as it is based on graduate seminars rather than a textbook. The speaker decides to postpone reading the book due to its advanced level.
Soca fo so
Has anyone here read Quantum Fields and Strings: A Course for Mathematicians vol 1 and/or vol 2? I was thinking about trying to tackle them but I'm unsure of what the mathematical prerequisites for doing so are.

My background is in physics, but I have taken courses on differential geometry and Lie groups and Lie algebras from a maths department, so I have some (but not much) familiarity with pure maths.

If anyone has some advice about what the prereqs are for reading these books it would be much appreciated thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never read it, but there's a copy in our library, and the introduction says: "For the most part this is physics written by mathematicians for mathematicians (read: the blind leading the blind). For that reason, throughout these volumes we have assumed without reference standard mathematical facts which are covered in textbooks and other literature. On the other hand, some very basic concepts in physics are explained. Certainly we did not attempt to explain everything, and the reader is well-advised to learn/review standard topics like special relativity, classical electromagnetism, etc. One basic prerequisite is a familiarity with at least the general framework of quantum mechanics."

And thumbing through it, I suspect that when they say it is for mathematicians, they mean PhD's, or at least advanced graduate students. It looks like it is a record of a series of graduate seminars, rather than a textbook.

Thanks brocks, I was afraid that would be the case when they jumped straight into category theory in the first chapter. I think I'll have to put this book on the back burner for now. Thanks again for you reply.

1. What is the purpose of studying Quantum Fields and Strings?

The purpose of studying Quantum Fields and Strings is to understand the fundamental properties of the universe at a microscopic level. This field of study combines concepts from quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions.

2. What is the difference between a quantum field and a classical field?

A quantum field is a mathematical description of a physical field that follows the principles of quantum mechanics. It describes the quantized energy states of particles and their interactions. A classical field, on the other hand, is a description of a physical field that follows the principles of classical mechanics. It does not take into account the quantized nature of particles.

3. How are strings incorporated into the study of quantum fields?

In the theory of quantum fields, particles are described as excitations of a field. In string theory, particles are replaced by one-dimensional objects called strings. These strings vibrate at different frequencies, giving rise to different particles. Therefore, strings are incorporated into the study of quantum fields as the fundamental building blocks of matter.

4. Are there any real-world applications of studying Quantum Fields and Strings?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of studying Quantum Fields and Strings. These include the development of new technologies such as quantum computers, advancements in particle physics and cosmology, and potential insights into the nature of space and time.

5. Do I need a strong background in mathematics to understand Quantum Fields and Strings?

Yes, a strong background in mathematics is necessary to fully understand Quantum Fields and Strings. This field of study involves advanced concepts in mathematics such as differential geometry, group theory, and complex analysis. However, there are introductory courses available for those with a basic understanding of mathematics.