How can I make hydrochloric acid at home?

• Thread starter jason006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Home
In summary, making hydrochloric acid at home is not recommended as it can be dangerous. However, if you still want to try, you can combine sodium chloride and sulfuric acid to produce hydrochloric acid. It is important to note that household bleach cannot be used to make hydrochloric acid and mixing it with other household cleaners or acids can be dangerous. To make hydrochloric acid at home, you will need sodium chloride, sulfuric acid, and glass containers. However, it is not safe to make hydrochloric acid at home as it can produce toxic gases. It is best to purchase hydrochloric acid from a reputable supplier. Hydrochloric acid has various industrial uses, such as in the production of plastics,
jason006
If its possible at all

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org

1. How can I make hydrochloric acid at home?

Making hydrochloric acid at home can be dangerous and is not recommended. However, if you still want to try it, you can combine sodium chloride (table salt) and sulfuric acid in a glass container, and collect the gas that is produced in a separate container. This gas is hydrochloric acid.

2. Can I use household bleach to make hydrochloric acid?

No, household bleach is made of sodium hypochlorite and is not the same as hydrochloric acid. Mixing bleach with other household cleaners or acids can be dangerous and should be avoided.

3. What ingredients do I need to make hydrochloric acid at home?

To make hydrochloric acid at home, you will need sodium chloride (table salt) and sulfuric acid. You may also need glass containers and a separate container to collect the gas produced.

4. Is it safe to make hydrochloric acid at home?

No, it is not safe to make hydrochloric acid at home. The process can be dangerous and may result in the production of toxic gases. It is best to purchase hydrochloric acid from a reputable supplier.

5. What are the uses of hydrochloric acid?

Hydrochloric acid has many industrial uses, such as in the production of plastics, fertilizers, and dyes. It is also used in the production of food additives and in the pickling process for food preservation. Additionally, hydrochloric acid is used in household cleaners and pool maintenance.