How High Should a Marble Be Released to Propel a Steel Ball at 150cm/s?

• Thread starter darkdryad
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is asking for the release height of a 100g marble that will give a 200g steel ball a speed of 150cm/s when the marble rolls down a 40 degree incline with no friction. The solution involves using conservation of total energy and the formula for kinetic energy to calculate the necessary velocity of the marble, and then using conservation of energy for the marble to solve for the release height.
darkdryad
I'd be grateful if anyone could help me for this question

"A 100g marble rolls down a 40 degrees incline. At the bottom, just after it exits onto a horizontal table, it collides with a 200g steel ball at rest. How high above the table should the marble be released to give the steel ball a speed of 150cm/s?"

thx

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far?

i suppose there is no friction? In that case use conservation of total energy.

Using the formula of kinetic energy you can calculate the velocity of the marble necessary to give the ball it's given velocity.

Then use conservation of energy for the marble : mgh + 0 = 1/2*m*v² + 0

At height h the velocity is 0 and at the endpoint the height is 0...

1. What does "no clue how to proceed" mean?

"No clue how to proceed" is a phrase commonly used to express confusion or uncertainty about the next steps to take in a certain situation. It implies that the person is currently at a loss for what to do.

2. How do I handle a situation where I have "no clue how to proceed"?

The first step in handling a situation where you have "no clue how to proceed" is to take a deep breath and try to remain calm. Then, try to gather as much information as possible about the situation and analyze it. You can also seek help or advice from others who may have more experience or expertise in the matter.

3. What are some common reasons for having "no clue how to proceed"?

There can be many reasons for feeling like you have "no clue how to proceed." It could be due to a lack of knowledge or experience, unclear instructions or expectations, unexpected obstacles, or simply feeling overwhelmed by the situation.

4. How can I prevent feeling like I have "no clue how to proceed" in the future?

To prevent feeling lost or unsure in a situation, it can be helpful to plan and prepare beforehand. This can include researching and gathering information, seeking advice or guidance from others, and breaking down the task into smaller, more manageable steps.

5. Is it okay to admit that I have "no clue how to proceed"?

Yes, it is completely okay to admit when you are unsure about how to proceed. In fact, it can be a sign of self-awareness and a willingness to learn and improve. Asking for help or advice when needed can also lead to better outcomes in the long run.