Simplification with exponentials and imaginary numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses using Euler's identity to simplify the equation exp(0.5it) + exp(-0.5it) after integrating it. The simplified equation does not include a 1/2 from cos(t) = 0.5[ exp(it) + exp(-it) ] and the numerator becomes 0 due to the problem of exp(i∏) = exp (-i∏). The conversation then explains how this is only true unless x=2n+1 for some integer n, which makes the last step invalid.
JieXian
Hi, I'm using euler's identity : exp(i∏) = exp (-i∏) = -1 to simplify the equation after integrating it.

[PLAIN]http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5504/captureikm.jpg
Note: the equation to be integrated is exp(0.5it) + exp(-0.5it) and they have simplified it, it was actually a cos(0.5t) function and the 1/2 from cos(t) = 0.5[ exp(it) + exp(-it) ] isn't included.

However, after trying I got the numerator to be 0, because of the exp(i∏) = exp (-i∏) problem.

Letting x and y be any variable,

exp(i∏ x) - exp(i∏ y) - [ exp(i(-∏) x) - exp(i(-∏) y) ]

= exp(i∏ x) - exp(i(-∏) x) - exp(i∏ y) + exp(i(-∏) y) --------- (rearranging)

= exp(i∏ x) - exp(i(∏) x) - exp(i∏ y) + exp(i(∏) y) ----------- (since exp(i∏) = exp (-i∏))

= 0

Please help me, thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
whilst it is true
[tex]
e^{i \pi} = -1 = e^{-i \pi}
[/tex]

unless x=2n+1 for some integer n, then
[tex]
e^{i \pi x} \neq e^{-i \pi x}
[/tex]

this makes your last step invalid, though I have not checked the rest

1. How do you simplify an exponential expression with an imaginary number?

To simplify an exponential expression with an imaginary number, you can use the properties of exponents. First, rewrite the expression as a product of powers. Then, use the rule that i squared is equal to -1. Finally, combine like terms and simplify as needed.

2. What is the difference between a real number and an imaginary number?

A real number is any number that can be represented on a number line, including both positive and negative numbers. An imaginary number is a number that, when squared, gives a negative result. It is represented by i and is used to solve equations that cannot be solved with real numbers.

3. Can you simplify an expression with both exponential and imaginary terms?

Yes, you can simplify an expression with both exponential and imaginary terms by using the properties of exponents and the rule that i squared is equal to -1. Once you have rewritten the expression, combine like terms and simplify as needed.

4. How do you know when to use imaginary numbers in a problem?

Imaginary numbers are typically used when solving equations that involve the square root of a negative number. They are also useful when working with complex numbers or in engineering and physics problems that involve electrical circuits.

5. What is the purpose of simplifying expressions with exponentials and imaginary numbers?

Simplifying expressions with exponentials and imaginary numbers makes them easier to work with and helps to solve equations that would otherwise be impossible to solve. It also allows for a better understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts and principles involved.