Line integrals and vector fields.

In summary, the problem involves a circle with a given equation and a vector field. When zoomed in at a specific point, the field appears constant. The task is to calculate the work from one point to another using the given force.
spyroarcher

Homework Statement

There is a circle of equation x^2+y^2=1 and a vector field F (x; y) =< y + .5x, x + .3y >.
Imagine the field zoomed in extremely close at (0,1), to the point where it looks like a constant field of <-1,.3>. Calculate the work from say (0,1) to (-.001, 1). The constant field is force.

Homework Equations

I was told to do this I dot <-1,3> and the vector made by (0,1) to (-.001,1).

The Attempt at a Solution

I receive an extremely tiny negative number, and I think it is wrong because when going right to left, the value looks like it should be positive. I think I somehow got the vector made by the 2 points wrong, cause I get <1,1.001>.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
spyroarcher said:

Homework Statement

There is a circle of equation x^2+y^2=1 and a vector field F (x; y) =< y + .5x, x + .3y >.
Imagine the field zoomed in extremely close at (0,1), to the point where it looks like a constant field of <-1,.3>. Calculate the work from say (0,1) to (-.001, 1). The constant field is force.

Homework Equations

I was told to do this I dot <-1,3> and the vector made by (0,1) to (-.001,1).

The Attempt at a Solution

I receive an extremely tiny negative number, and I think it is wrong because when going right to left, the value looks like it should be positive. I think I somehow got the vector made by the 2 points wrong, cause I get <1,1.001>.

Thanks in advance.

The vector from your start point to the second point is D = <-.001,1> - <0,1> = <-.001,0>. Dotting that into your force will yield a positive number.

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept that calculates the total value of a function along a specific path or curve. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is typically used in multivariable calculus to calculate the work done by a force along a specific path.

2. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that assigns a vector to every point in a given space. It is used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, or electric and magnetic fields. Vector fields are often visualized using arrows, with the length and direction of the arrow representing the magnitude and direction of the vector at a particular point.

3. How do line integrals and vector fields relate?

Line integrals are used to calculate the total value of a vector field along a specific path or curve. This allows us to understand the behavior of the vector field along a particular path and can be useful in various applications, such as calculating work or flux.

4. What are some applications of line integrals and vector fields?

Line integrals and vector fields have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some common applications include calculating work and flux in physics, studying fluid flow in engineering, and analyzing electromagnetic fields in electromagnetism.

5. How do you calculate a line integral?

To calculate a line integral, you first need to parameterize the path or curve along which you want to integrate. This means expressing the x and y coordinates as functions of a single variable, usually t. Then, you integrate the product of the vector field and the derivative of the path with respect to t, from the starting point to the ending point of the path.