What is the Average Acceleration of a Plane Making a Gradual Turn?

• Thread starter Elphaba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnitude
In summary, an airplane is flying north at a speed of 200m/s and makes a gradual turn at a constant speed. After 20 seconds, it completes the turn and is now moving east at a speed of 200m/s. The question asks for the magnitude of its average acceleration during the turn. This can be calculated by considering the change in velocity and dividing it by the time taken. In this case, the plane has lost 200m/s of northward velocity and gained 200m/s of eastward velocity, resulting in an effective velocity change that can be calculated using vector addition. Alternatively, the formula for centripetal acceleration can be used by calculating the radius of the turn and plugging it into the formula.
Elphaba
An airplaine is flying North at 200m/s. It make a gradual turn at constant speed. 20 secs later, it completes the turn and is moving East at 200 m/s. What is the magnitude of its average acceleration while making its turn?

What does it mean by magnitude of Acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnitude just means size.

You can tackle this one using the formula for centripetal acceleration, if you know it.

Or simpler, just look at the change in the velocity and divide by the time taken. Remember, velocity includes direction as well as speed. Even though in this case the speed remains constant, the direction, and therefore the velocity is changing.

i thought v = [tex]\frac{\Delta\nu}{\Delta\chi}[/tex]

right? change in distance over change in time, but the distance would be a quarter of the circumference, and the change in time is 20 secs. so... 20 times 200?

Last edited:
There's more to velocity than (change in distance) / (change in time)

Consider a car driving past your house heading north, at 60 mph. It passes your house at 12:00:00 slams on the brakes, skids around a J (U) turn and accelerates back past your house at 60 mph heading south at 12:00:15.

Now in 15 seconds what distance has the car covered? Zero? Has the car accelerated or decelerated?

You need to consider velocities as vectors. Have you covered that yet? It normally involves drawing arrows where the length of the arrow represents the speed, and the direction the arrow points in represents the direction. You add and subtract vectors by drawing them nose to tail, and then considering the new vector (arrow) that joins the start and end of the chain.

Last edited:
a(c) = v^2/r

but it's a curve... so how do you add the vectors? :confused:

I'm So FRUSTRATED! :grumpy:

Last edited:
You don't have to worry about the path taken. That's why they use 'average' in the question. You only have to consider the starting and finishing velocities, and the time taken.

The plane has lost 200m/s of northward velocity, so it's the same as gaining 200m/s of southward velocity. At the same time it's gained 200m/s of eastward velocity. We can draw the two changes and add them together like this:

Code:
|
|
|
| 
|
|
|
V      200
 --------------->
Now you can draw the vector connecting the start and end of this chain and that gives you the effective velocity change. Acceleration is just change in velocity divided by the time taken.

Edit: I think this will work, but I'm not totally sure. If I were working out this one, I would calculate the radius of the turn (you know the plane flies a quarter of a circle, that is a distance of [tex]2\pi r / 4[/tex]) in a certain time at a constant given speed, so calculating r is easy.

And you already know the formula for centripetal acceleration [tex]\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex] so you're laughing.

It will be interesting to see how the answers from the two methods compare. I think now that the vector adding method might give a slightly smaller answer, as a force acting in that direction would slow the plane down somewhat, and then speed it up again, so it's not what the question asks.

Sorry if I mislead you.

Last edited:

1. What is the magnitude of average acceleration?

The magnitude of average acceleration is a measure of how much an object's velocity changes over a certain period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How is the magnitude of average acceleration different from average acceleration?

The magnitude of average acceleration is the absolute value of average acceleration. This means that it only takes into account the size of the acceleration, not its direction. Average acceleration, on the other hand, includes both the size and direction of the acceleration.

3. What are the units of magnitude of average acceleration?

The units of magnitude of average acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s²) or feet per second squared (ft/s²), depending on the unit system being used.

4. How is the magnitude of average acceleration related to the speed of an object?

The magnitude of average acceleration is related to the speed of an object because it measures how quickly the object's velocity changes. A larger magnitude of average acceleration indicates a faster change in velocity, which can result in a higher speed.

5. How can the magnitude of average acceleration be used in real life?

The magnitude of average acceleration can be used in various real-life scenarios, such as in sports to measure the acceleration of athletes, in car accidents to determine the impact force, and in space missions to understand the acceleration of spacecraft. It can also be used in engineering to design structures and machines that can withstand certain levels of acceleration.