Applying to graduate school - how important is undergrad institution?

In summary, the conversation discusses the weight placed on the school attended when applying to graduate school, particularly in the fields of physics and math. The speaker is concerned about the reputation of their undergraduate institution and its potential impact on their chances of getting into a specific research group. They wonder if strong scores on the subject GRE can compensate for attending a lesser-known school. The conversation also touches on the importance of publications and letters of recommendation in the application process.
Mépris
I've seen and heard some scary things when it comes to graduate school applications and for all I know, these could be complete rubbish. On the off chance that these claims are indeed correct, I'd like to know.

In general, when a physics/math department is looking at applicant profiles, how much weight is placed on the school they attended? What I'm asking here, really, is whether I'll have to make a herculean effort to be able to have even a half-decent shot at getting into a specific research group, if the college I went to is not very well known. I get that I will have to work very hard no matter which school I go to but from what I understand, things are somewhat harder if no one knows where your school is and for all they know, it could be from a "give me some $$ and I'll give you a degree" college. In that case, would very good scores on the subject GRE be enough to help?

This is quite important for me, seeing as I would rather not get into too much college debt. Going to one of those "not very well known" schools would be a good way for me to do that... :-) :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Mépris said:
In general, when a physics/math department is looking at applicant profiles, how much weight is placed on the school they attended? What I'm asking here, really, is whether I'll have to make a herculean effort to be able to have even a half-decent shot at getting into a specific research group, if the college I went to is not very well known. I get that I will have to work very hard no matter which school I go to but from what I understand, things are somewhat harder if no one knows where your school is and for all they know, it could be from a "give me some $$ and I'll give you a degree" college. In that case, would very good scores on the subject GRE be enough to help?

People from "give me some $$ and I'll give you a degree" don't exactly perform well on the things the matter, such as the PGRE, research, publications, and letters of recommendations. Your undergrad institute, in terms of having it under your name on your application, is fairly low on the importance list.

^
Cool.

This applies for international students as well?

Do strong applicants typically already have papers published under their name? :O

I'm going to be more pessimistic than Pengwuino. Your undergrad institution CAN (and does) play a role in determining if you get into a program or not. For example, a student with a 3.7 GPA from Regional State College is going to have a more difficult time getting into a highly-regarded grad program than the kid who went to Stanford, Yale, etc., with the same GPA.

In my case, I went to a very good state university for undergrad. However, it's definitely among the least prestigious institutions represented by the students in my grad program. My cohorts went to Princeton, Stanford, Caltech, Berkeley, etc. In fact, if I hadn't gotten an NSF fellowship, I don't know if I would have been admitted to my program at all.

Your undergrad institution is more than a name. Lowly ranked schools are usually the schools with small grad programs and a slim selection of classes. If you didn't take as many classes as some other students, then the gradschools you're applying to might think you don't have as good a preparation as students from other schools.

1. How important is the ranking of my undergraduate institution when applying to graduate school?

The ranking of your undergraduate institution can be one factor that admissions committees consider when reviewing your application. However, it is not the only factor and may not be the most important one. Admissions committees also look at your academic performance, letters of recommendation, and other experiences and achievements.

2. Will attending a highly-ranked undergraduate institution increase my chances of getting into a top graduate school?

Attending a highly-ranked undergraduate institution may increase your chances of getting into a top graduate school, but it is not a guarantee. Admissions committees look at a variety of factors in addition to your undergraduate institution, such as your academic performance, research experience, and personal statement.

3. Can I still get into a good graduate school if I attended a less prestigious undergraduate institution?

Yes, it is possible to get into a good graduate school even if you attended a less prestigious undergraduate institution. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors, and your academic performance and other experiences can still make you a competitive applicant.

4. How much does the reputation of my undergraduate institution matter for certain fields of study?

The reputation of your undergraduate institution can matter more for certain fields of study, such as business or law, where the school's name may carry more weight. However, for other fields, such as the sciences or humanities, your individual achievements and experiences may be more important in the admissions process.

5. Should I choose my undergraduate institution based on its reputation for preparing students for graduate school?

The decision of which undergraduate institution to attend should not solely be based on its reputation for preparing students for graduate school. It is important to choose a school that offers a strong academic program in your field of interest, as well as opportunities for research and other experiences that will make you a competitive applicant for graduate school.