Hydrogen Atom Energy: Ratio of νBohr/νorbit

In summary, the frequency of radiation for transitions between adjacent orbits in Bohr's hydrogen atom can be expressed as νBohr = (En+1 - En)/h. It can also be expressed classically as νorbit = v/2πr, where v is the velocity and r is the radius of the charged particle in a circular orbit. By finding the ratio of νBohr/νorbit as a function of n, it is shown that νBohr/νorbit approaches 1 as n approaches infinity. This demonstrates Bohr's correspondence principle, which states that in the limit of large quantum numbers, quantum-mechanical results agree with classical results.
v_pino

Homework Statement

In Bohr’s hydrogen atom, the frequency of radiation for transitions between adjacent orbits
is νBohr = (En+1−En)/h. Classically, a charged particle moving in a circular orbit radiates
at the frequency of the motion, νorbit = v/2πr. Find the ratio νBohr/νorbit for the Bohr
orbits as a function of n. Evaluate the ratio for n = 1, 2, 5, 10, 100, and 1000, and thus show that νBohr/νorbit → 1 as n → ∞. This is an example of Bohr’s correspondence principle—that in the limit of large quantum numbers quantum-mechanical results agree with classical results.

Homework Equations

[tex] \nu_{Bohr}=(E_{n+1}-E_n)/h [/tex]

[tex] \nu_{orbit}=\frac{v}{2 \pi r} [/tex]

[tex] E_n= \frac{Z^2}{n^2}E_1 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From equation 3, can I say [itex] E_{n+1}= \frac{Z^2}{(n+1)^2}E_1 [/itex] ?

Then doing the algebra gives me

[tex] \frac{\nu_{Bohr}}{\nu_{Orbit}}=(\frac{1}{(n+1)^2}-\frac{1}{n^2} )\frac{Z^2E_1}{h} \frac{2 \pi r}{v} [/tex]

Does that seem correct?

However, the values from the brackets of [itex] \frac{1}{(n+1)^2}-\frac{1}{n^2} [/itex] gives me -3/4, -5/36, ... which don't tend to 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right so far. But you have not accounted for the fact that r and v are not constant but depend on n, which will affect the value of the limit for large n. (For example, r is larger for higher n, since higher energy states correspond to larger orbits.)

Now I have [itex] \frac{\nu_{Bohr}}{\nu_{Orbit}}=(\frac{n}{(n+1)^2}-1 )\frac{Z^2E_1}{h} \frac{2 \pi r}{v} [/itex] using [itex] r_n=\frac{n^2}{Z}a_0 [/itex].

But even so, this only tells me that the brackets value is getting very small at large n.

You need to substitute an expression for vn as well.

Also, this was probably just a typo on your part, but inside the brackets in your previous post it should be
[tex]\left( \frac{n^2}{(n+1)^2}-1 \right)[/tex]

I now have the ratio [itex] = (\frac {n^3}{(n+1)^2}-n)\frac{E_1 \hbar^2}{mk^2e^2} [/itex]

But when I evaluate the non-bracket side, I get 1.28*10^-38.
Multiplying this to the bracket doesn't give me a value that tends to 1.

v_pino said:
I now have the ratio [itex] = (\frac {n^3}{(n+1)^2}-n)\frac{E_1 \hbar^2}{mk^2e^2} [/itex]
Something is wrong, the units are not working out correctly.
v_pino said:
Now I have [itex] \frac{\nu_{Bohr}}{\nu_{Orbit}}=(\frac{n}{(n+1)^2}-1 )\frac{Z^2E_1}{h} \frac{2 \pi r}{v} [/itex] using [itex] r_n=\frac{n^2}{Z}a_0 [/itex].
If you have replaced r with n2a0/Z, then r shouldn't be in your expression, and a0 should be there. Also, what expression for vn did you use? If you show more of your steps, we should be able to figure out where things went wrong.

Is [itex] v_n=\frac{Zke^2}{n \hbar}=\frac{Z\alpha c}{n} [/itex]?

Is this right? [itex] = (\frac {n^3}{(n+1)^2}-n)\frac{E_1 \hbar^2}{mk^2e^4} [/itex]

The non bracket is now very big: 1.045*10^40.

I think the bracket tends to -2.

got it - thanks

v_pino said:
Is this right? [itex] = (\frac {n^3}{(n+1)^2}-n)\frac{E_1 \hbar^2}{mk^2e^4} [/itex]
Looks good.
The non bracket is now very big: 1.045*10^40.
I get something different, perhaps you are not paying attention to units and just plugging in some numbers. So -- try including units in your calculation so that you can see them cancelling properly. If they don't cancel out, you probably have to convert some units somewhere. If it's still not working out after doing that, post your calculation of the non-bracket part here.
I think the bracket tends to -2.
I agree.

v_pino said:
got it - thanks
Ah, glad it worked out :smile:

What is the Bohr frequency of a hydrogen atom?

The Bohr frequency of a hydrogen atom is the frequency at which the electron in a hydrogen atom transitions from one energy level to another. It is calculated using the equation νBohr = R(1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2), where R is the Rydberg constant, n1 is the initial energy level, and n2 is the final energy level.

What is the orbit frequency of a hydrogen atom?

The orbit frequency of a hydrogen atom is the frequency at which the electron moves around the nucleus in its orbit. It is calculated using the equation νorbit = v/2πr, where v is the speed of the electron and r is the radius of the orbit.

What is the ratio between the Bohr frequency and the orbit frequency of a hydrogen atom?

The ratio between the Bohr frequency and the orbit frequency of a hydrogen atom is known as the νBohr/νorbit ratio. It is calculated by dividing the Bohr frequency by the orbit frequency, and it is equal to the number of times the electron completes one orbit in one second.

How does the νBohr/νorbit ratio change as the energy level of the electron increases?

The νBohr/νorbit ratio decreases as the energy level of the electron increases. This is because as the energy level increases, the radius of the orbit also increases, resulting in a larger orbit frequency and a smaller ratio.

Why is the νBohr/νorbit ratio important in hydrogen atom energy calculations?

The νBohr/νorbit ratio is important in hydrogen atom energy calculations because it helps determine the energy levels and frequencies of the electron in a hydrogen atom. It also provides a way to compare the energy levels of different atoms and molecules. Additionally, this ratio is used in the development of technologies that utilize hydrogen atom energy, such as fuel cells and nuclear fusion reactors.