Effect of Withdrawals on Graduate School Application

In summary, the speaker advises the person to focus on resolving their depression and improving their overall well-being before worrying about graduate school. They suggest taking time off and getting treatment for depression, as well as working on other areas of their application such as getting good letters of recommendation and research experience. The speaker also emphasizes the importance of having a strong GPA and suggests studying math on their own in preparation for physics courses. They also mention the possibility of academic renewal if the person has a clinical diagnosis of depression. Overall, the speaker encourages the person to prioritize their mental health and well-being before pursuing graduate school.
biochem850
Due to unforeseen circumstances (burnout, depression), I recently had to withdraw from all of my courses (5 courses) and this brings my total number of W's up to 11.

Am I doomed?

Even if I went back to school and continue to excel, would my graduate school application ever be given serious consideration? I'm so distraught and I could really use some advice.

I know graduate schools value GPA, difficulty of coursework and research experience so I if worked to excel in this areas would I still have a chance to get into a decent graduate program?

Physics news on Phys.org
Although I cannot speak to the Biochem field in particular (judging from your username), I'd say short answer: yes. I have a semester with 3 F's out of 4 classes (not in my field though) and will be starting a very good program in the Fall. You must polish the areas of your application that you mentioned and strive to show a positive upward trend in your final semesters (no more W's!).

You need to find out the root cause of all your problem, and fix it. If you continue to struggle with depression, please consider seeing a doctor about getting treatment.

Meanwhile, you need to make the rest of your application look stellar. Concentrate on getting good letters of recommendation and research experience, as well as a good GPA.

lisab said:
You need to find out the root cause of all your problem, and fix it. If you continue to struggle with depression, please consider seeing a doctor about getting treatment.

Meanwhile, you need to make the rest of your application look stellar. Concentrate on getting good letters of recommendation and research experience, as well as a good GPA.

I've made the decision to pursue physics rather than biochemistry and I'd like to know what is considered a good physics GPA (right now I have about a 3.6... but I know this will rise). I've hear a good physics GPA is 3.3 and above but I don't about the validity of this statement.

Do you think it would be a good idea to sit out for the summer and focus on holistically improving myself? When I go back to school I would be taking the most basic courses for a physics major (Calculus 1-3) and I know I can get good grades in these courses if I could just improve other areas of my life.

In addition, when do physics majors generally being to pursue undergraduate research (i.e. when is it appropriate to begin inquiring about helping with research)?

I've been studying calculus on my own and I wonder if I should continue to study calculus on my own in preparation for formal courses in calculus? Would it be advantageous to begin studying physics on my own as well?

If you haven't taken calculus, then your 'physics GPA' could only consist of algebra-based intro classes. Which means it's going to change quite a bit before you'll be applying to graduate schools, and not necessarily up. Even low ranked graduate schools can expect a 3.5 GPA (overall and physics) or higher from most of their applicants.

Many physics majors start to get research experience after their first full year of introductory classes, but some wait until later.

I would say study as much math on your own as you can, including Linear Algebra and trig. If they are calculus based physics courses, you will pick them up right away if you have a strong grasp on calc. Unless you have never taken any physics, have NO idea about concepts such as F=ma, forces, etc., or don't have a common sense intuition on physical properties, I'd focus on math. This doesn't mean that you can't one day watch the beginning physics lectures from MIT or Yale on youtube.

-MIT 8.01 Physics I

-Yale Fundamentals of Physics

Last edited by a moderator:
If your depression is clinically diagnosed, i.e., the medical condition of depression rather than just feeling depressed, then you may be able to get your school to let you retake those courses, remove the W grades from your transcript, and replace them with the new grades. They may call it "academic renewal" or something like that, and I expect they would be much more willing to do that if you have a clinical diagnosis.

biochem850 said:
Am I doomed?

Don't think about that now. If you are depressed then everything is going to make you feel like you are doomed, which increases the depression, and makes your situation worse.

Your first priority is to get yourself in good shape. If you can resolve the depression issues, then everything else will work itself out. If you can't then nothing is possible.

Even if I went back to school and continue to excel, would my graduate school application ever be given serious consideration? I'm so distraught and I could really use some advice.

My advice is to take some time off (and do some outside physics reading). If you can deal with the depression, then there are a lot of options. If you try to do anything without dealing with the depression first, then everything is going to fall apart.

Taking time off does not disqualify you from graduate school.

I know graduate schools value GPA, difficulty of coursework and research experience so I if worked to excel in this areas would I still have a chance to get into a decent graduate program?

Right now, that's just the wrong question to be asking. If it is the case that you have to do X, Y, and Z to get into graduate school, and you try to do X, Y, and Z while being depressed, you won't be able to do it, and that's likely to make the depression worse, and things will just spiral downward.

One approach that therapists use is insight-oriented psychotherapy, and one question that they'll have you think about is why does graduate school matter so much to you.

1. How do withdrawals affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

Withdrawals from courses can have a negative impact on your graduate school application, as they may raise questions about your academic commitment and preparation for graduate-level work. However, this is not necessarily a deal-breaker and can be mitigated by providing a clear explanation for the withdrawals and demonstrating your academic strengths in other areas.

2. Will graduate schools see all of my course withdrawals?

It depends on the application requirements of each individual graduate school. Some may only ask for a transcript from your undergraduate institution, which would include all of your course withdrawals. Others may require you to submit transcripts from all institutions attended, in which case they would see all of your withdrawals from all schools.

3. Can I still get into graduate school if I have multiple course withdrawals?

Having multiple course withdrawals on your transcript may raise concerns for graduate schools, but it is not an automatic disqualification. It is important to provide a clear and honest explanation for the withdrawals and to demonstrate your academic strengths and readiness for graduate-level work through other aspects of your application, such as letters of recommendation, personal statements, and test scores.

4. Should I explain my course withdrawals in my graduate school application?

If your application requires a personal statement or essay, it may be a good opportunity to provide a brief explanation for any course withdrawals. However, if the application does not explicitly ask for this information, it is not necessary to bring attention to your withdrawals unless they directly impacted your academic progress or are a significant part of your story.

5. Will graduate schools consider any extenuating circumstances for my course withdrawals?

Some graduate schools may take into account any extenuating circumstances that led to your course withdrawals, such as a medical or personal emergency. It is important to provide documentation and a clear explanation of these circumstances in your application, as it may help mitigate any negative impact on your application.