Membrane Potential and Permittivity

In summary, membrane potential is the difference in electrical charge between the inside and outside of a cell membrane. It can be measured using various techniques and plays a crucial role in cell signaling. Permittivity, or the ability to store electrical energy, is important for membrane potential as the lipid bilayer acts as a capacitor. The movement of ions across the membrane, facilitated by ion channels and pumps, is a key factor in determining membrane potential.
alex_b93
Hi,
Was wondering if I could get some help with part b of this question?
I've attached the question and my attempt in the pictures as there was a lot of data and writing, so thought this would be the easiest way.

With my attempt I think I'm missing something pretty obvious, but I'm drawing a blank on it.

Cheers

Homework Statement

See pictures attached

Homework Equations

See pictures attached

The Attempt at a Solution

See pictures attached

Attachments

• IMG_20120322_155129.jpg
    IMG_20120322_155129.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_20120322_155206.jpg
    IMG_20120322_155206.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 355
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help at all?

1. What is membrane potential?

Membrane potential refers to the difference in electrical charge between the inside and outside of a cell membrane. This potential is created by the movement of ions across the membrane, with more positive ions outside the cell and more negative ions inside.

2. How is membrane potential measured?

Membrane potential can be measured using various techniques, such as patch-clamp recording or voltage-sensitive dyes. These methods allow for the detection of changes in the electrical charge of the cell membrane.

3. What is the role of membrane potential in cell signaling?

Membrane potential plays a crucial role in cell signaling, as it allows for the transmission of electrical signals between cells. Changes in membrane potential can trigger various cellular processes, such as muscle contraction and nerve impulse transmission.

4. What is permittivity and how does it relate to membrane potential?

Permittivity refers to the ability of a material to store electrical energy. In the context of membrane potential, permittivity is important because the lipid bilayer of the cell membrane acts as a capacitor, storing electrical energy and contributing to the overall membrane potential.

5. How does the movement of ions across the membrane affect membrane potential?

The movement of ions, particularly sodium (Na+) and potassium (K+), across the membrane is a key factor in determining membrane potential. This movement is facilitated by ion channels and pumps, which maintain an unequal distribution of ions and contribute to the overall membrane potential.