Sequential Logic Design-State Diagram for a divider

In summary, the state diagram represents the logic behind the divider and the numbers on the bottom indicate the states. The input C controls the division factor, and Nclk is the new clock signal used to sequence through the states.
derp267
Sequential Logic Design--State Diagram for a divider

I need to design a divider so that when input C=0 it divides by 3 and when input C=1 it divides by 4 and I need to use D,T,and JK flip flops (I'm not even sure I'm phrasing this correctly). I'm just having trouble with a few concepts. I'm trying to figure out the state diagram my professor gave us and then I think I might be able to figure out how to do the design(hints are welcome though).

State diagram is below(I couldn't get the image to imbed):
http://imgur.com/9mr4B

If I think I understand this correctly it looks like a counter and the input C is a 'don't care' for the first two counts, then it stops at 2 if C is 0 or stops at 3 if C is 1. I'm not sure about this at all though. What are the numbers on the bottom inside of the bubbles?

He also mentioned something about Nclk (new clock maybe?) which I don't understand at all (he never explained it). I have to include it when I do the timing diagram. Is it the clock going from one flip flop into another or something like that?
Here is the picture I had in my notes, probably doesn't help though:
http://imgur.com/U8ub5

Thank you in advance for your help and time. If you could briefly explain the general concept of a divider it would help too.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The state diagram is a representation of the logic behind the divider. The numbers on the bottom inside of the bubbles indicate the states that the divider can be in. In this example, there are 4 states numbered 0, 1, 2, and 3. The input C is a control input and determines which division factor is used. When C is 0, the divider divides by 3 since it will stay in state 0, 1, and 2 before resetting to 0. When C is 1, the divider divides by 4 since it will stay in state 0, 1, 2, and 3 before resetting to 0. Nclk (new clock) is the new clock signal that is used to determine when to move from one state to another. It is generated by the logic and is used to sequence through the states. In the timing diagram, you will need to include Nclk, which will be a pulse that is high for one clock cycle, then goes low and starts the process over.

Question 1: What is sequential logic design and why is it important in the context of a divider?

Sequential logic design is a method of designing digital circuits that uses memory elements to store and process data. In the context of a divider, sequential logic design is important because it allows for the division operation to be broken down into smaller steps that can be executed in a specific order, leading to a more efficient and accurate calculation.

Question 2: What is a state diagram and how does it relate to sequential logic design for a divider?

A state diagram is a visual representation of the different states that a system can be in and the transitions between those states. In the context of sequential logic design for a divider, the state diagram shows the different states of the division operation and how the circuit transitions from one state to another based on the input and clock signals.

Question 3: How is the division operation represented in a state diagram for a divider?

In a state diagram for a divider, the division operation is represented as a series of states that correspond to the different steps of the operation. These states can include "initialize", "load dividend", "shift and subtract", "check remainder", and "output quotient". The transitions between these states are determined by the input and clock signals.

Question 4: What are the advantages of using a state diagram for designing a divider?

Using a state diagram for designing a divider allows for a clear and organized visual representation of the different states and transitions of the division operation. This makes it easier to understand and debug the circuit, as well as make modifications or improvements. Additionally, a state diagram helps to break down a complex operation into smaller, manageable steps, leading to a more efficient and reliable design.

Question 5: How does a state diagram for a divider ensure proper functionality of the circuit?

The state diagram for a divider is designed in such a way that it ensures the proper execution of the division operation. By breaking down the operation into smaller steps and defining the transitions between those steps, the state diagram helps to control the flow of data and signals within the circuit. This ensures that the division operation is carried out accurately and reliably, leading to proper functionality of the circuit.