Which fluid mechanics book is recommended for preparing over the summer?

In summary: P.C. RAJPUT is a very good book. It goes into compressible flow in much more detail than Munson, Okiishi and Young's book. If you want a more comprehensive book on the subject, I would recommend that one.
jehan60188
I'm taking fluid mechanics in the fall, and I hear the professor is a real pain. I want to prepare over the summer by getting exposure to the material.
I'm in an undergraduate program, and have all the math I need (though it's been a while since differential equations, so I'm actually re-learning that this summer, too!). I'm highly motivated, and have lots of time (this economy is so bad, that I can't find a summer job)

any suggestions would be appreciated!

course description "Introduction and fundamentals of fluid statics, integral form and control volume analysis, differential analysis and potential flow, incompressible viscous internal and external flow, and compressible flow."

thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What major are you? The best book will depend partially on that.

A History and Philosophy of Fluid Mechanics
by G. A. Tokaty

315190-L.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486681033/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in a mechanical engineering program, but everyone in the engineering department has to take the class- an undergrad degree is just a prep course for the FE exam, right?

Hello, if you need something really useful in fluid mechanical engineering and thermal engineering, you can check my website, it contain a small library of different subjects only in mechanical engineering:
http://www.firavia.com/mecheng.html
http://www.firavia.com/heat.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Dover book pictured above and although I only read halfway through it before I set it down at the beginning of this semester, I can tell you that it is probably not the book you are looking for. It is simply an interesting read on the history of the subject.

I'm a mechanical engineering student as well, but I can't understand how you came up with your assumption about an undergrad degree and the FE exam.

You can get several book in fluid mechamics
at www.potto.org for free.

Fluid Mechanics by Cengel is certainly a very good book. As for exams are concerned, i think Fluid Mechanics b Rajput is better

Fluid Mechanics by R.k . BANSAL

1. What are the key concepts and theories covered in a good fluid mechanics book?

A good fluid mechanics book should cover the fundamental principles of fluid mechanics, including topics such as fluid properties, fluid statics, fluid dynamics, Bernoulli's equation, and flow measurements. It should also include advanced topics like boundary layer theory, drag and lift, and turbulence.

2. What are the recommended prerequisites for understanding a good fluid mechanics book?

A solid foundation in calculus, physics, and differential equations is usually necessary to understand the concepts presented in a fluid mechanics book. Some knowledge of vector calculus and basic engineering mechanics principles may also be helpful.

3. How does a good fluid mechanics book apply to real-world engineering problems?

A good fluid mechanics book should not only cover theoretical concepts, but also provide examples and applications of these concepts to real-world engineering problems. This may include topics such as fluid flow in pipes, pumps, and turbines, as well as applications in aerodynamics and hydraulics.

4. Are there any recommended supplemental resources to accompany a good fluid mechanics book?

Depending on the level and depth of the book, there may be recommended supplemental resources such as online simulations, practice problems, or even laboratory experiments. It is also beneficial to consult with a professor or experienced engineer for guidance and clarification.

5. Is there a difference between a good fluid mechanics book for beginners and one for advanced readers?

Yes, there can be a significant difference in the level of complexity and depth between a beginner's fluid mechanics book and one for advanced readers. A beginner's book may focus on the basic principles and applications, while an advanced book may delve into more complex theories and advanced mathematical techniques. It is important to choose a book that aligns with your current level of knowledge and understanding.