Exploring Hydrogen Fuel Cells: Questions & Answers

In summary, the laws of physics prevent us from making a longer electric current to harness all the electricity produced in a certain current. If hydrogen is not allowed to mix with oxygen, it cannot undergo a combustion process. Electricity is produced when hydrogen and oxygen react to form water, and the electrons are passed through the circuit to create an electric current.
manp

Homework Statement

hi I've got to do a project for college and need some direction I want to know a few things more so if you can help let me know.

some of the things include (if you could answer any it would be useful):

why can't we make a longer electric current to harness all the electricity produced in a certain current (please see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell and image 'scheme of proton...')
what happens to the hydrogen if we don't allow it to mix with the oxygen (and instead forward it for a combustion process, can we do this? I mean can ionised hydrogen be lit, I know hydrogen and oxygen can be burned but how come this doesn't make water straight upon introduction to each other such as in a typical hydrogen fuel cell and instead after the combustion, it doesn't make sense)
is electricity made on hydrogen and oxygen reacting together to make water or is it made through the electrons being passed through the circuit (or both)

please don't mind if these questions don't make any sense I'm really trying to learn and ask the questions which don't make sense to me. thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations N/AThe Attempt at a Solution 1. Why can't we make a longer electric current to harness all the electricity produced in a certain current? The reason why we cannot make a longer electric current to harness all the electricity produced in a certain current is because of the laws of physics. In order to transfer electrical energy from one place to another, there must be a complete circuit of both conductors and resistors. If the current is too long, the amount of resistance in the circuit increases, reducing the amount of electricity that can be transferred. 2. What happens to the hydrogen if we don't allow it to mix with the oxygen (and instead forward it for a combustion process)? If the hydrogen is not allowed to mix with the oxygen, it will remain as a gas and without the presence of oxygen, it cannot undergo a combustion process. 3. Is electricity made on hydrogen and oxygen reacting together to make water or is it made through the electrons being passed through the circuit (or both)? Electricity is produced when hydrogen and oxygen react together and form water. The electrons are then passed through the circuit, which creates an electric current.

1. What is a hydrogen fuel cell?

A hydrogen fuel cell is a device that converts the chemical energy of hydrogen into electricity through a chemical reaction with oxygen. It works by combining hydrogen and oxygen to produce water and electricity, with no harmful emissions.

2. How does a hydrogen fuel cell work?

A hydrogen fuel cell works by passing hydrogen gas through an anode, where it is split into protons and electrons. The protons then move through a membrane to the cathode, while the electrons are forced through a circuit to create an electrical current. At the cathode, the protons and electrons combine with oxygen to produce water and heat.

3. What are the advantages of using hydrogen fuel cells?

Hydrogen fuel cells have several advantages, including zero emissions, high energy efficiency, and versatility in terms of fuel sources. They also have a longer lifespan compared to traditional batteries and can be refueled quickly.

4. What are the potential applications of hydrogen fuel cells?

Hydrogen fuel cells have a wide range of potential applications, including powering vehicles, homes, and businesses. They can also be used in portable devices, such as laptops and smartphones, and in backup power systems for emergency situations.

5. What are the challenges facing the widespread use of hydrogen fuel cells?

Some challenges facing the widespread use of hydrogen fuel cells include the high cost of production and infrastructure, as well as the lack of a widespread hydrogen fueling network. There are also concerns about the safety and storage of hydrogen gas, as it is highly flammable.