Finding Roots of a Cubic Function: Tips and Tricks

In summary, the conversation was about finding the roots of a cubic function and the attempt at solving it using various methods. The first root was determined to be 1, and the conversation then focused on finding the other two roots, which were eventually found to be 3 and -4. The conversation also mentioned using a factoring method to solve cubic functions.
zenith92

Homework Statement

Actually, part of a question on modeling/control systems. I need to find the poles (or, roots) of the cubic function.

Homework Equations

x^3 - 13x + 12 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

The rule of thumb for the course is that if you get a cubic function then there will always be a solution of x equal to -1,0 or 1. For this particular equation, I figured out that it's 1. Now I need 2 more solutions.

On my first try I got +/- sqrt(13) by factoring the equation as follows:

x(x^2-13x)+12=0

Those are wrong, I checked them. So yeah, question is if someone can help me or point me in the direction of a simple way to solve cubic functions, I have almost no experience with them (normally I'd use my calculator, not allowed for this class).

The answers in the appendix say that the other two roots are 3 and -4, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you know the first root is 1, you can write:

(x-1)(x+a)(x+b) = x3-13x+12

From this you can tell that -1*a*b = 12, thus a*b = -12. Additionally, since the x2 term is zero, you can multiply the left side and set the x2 term to zero, revealing that a + b = 1. The only possibility where a*b = -12 and a + b = 1 is a = 4 and b = -3, which means x = -4 and x = 3 are roots.

Last edited:
Thanks mate, actually don't know why I didn't get this immediately :)

What is a cubic function?

A cubic function is a type of polynomial function that has a degree of 3. It can be written in the form f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are coefficients.

What is the general method for solving a cubic function?

The general method for solving a cubic function is to use a process called factoring. This involves finding factors of the constant term (d) and using them to determine possible solutions for the equation. From there, you can use the factor theorem and synthetic division to find the remaining factors and ultimately solve for the roots of the function.

What are the different types of solutions for a cubic function?

A cubic function may have either real or complex solutions. Real solutions are values of x that make the function equal to 0, while complex solutions involve the use of imaginary numbers (i) and are typically written in the form a + bi.

Can all cubic functions be solved?

Yes, all cubic functions can be solved using the general method of factoring and finding the roots. However, some functions may have complex solutions rather than real solutions.

What is the significance of the discriminant in solving a cubic function?

The discriminant, which is the part of the quadratic formula inside the square root symbol, can be used to determine the number and type of solutions for a cubic function. If the discriminant is positive, there are three distinct real solutions. If the discriminant is zero, there is one real solution with a multiplicity of 3. And if the discriminant is negative, there are three complex solutions.