Volumetric analysis question. Help

• Thread starter k3l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the concentration of sulfuric acid in a 500mL sample is 5.102*10^-2molL^-1. The volume of concentrated sulfuric acid used in the dilution is 19.6mL.
k3l
volumetric analysis question. Help please

hi ppl. i need help on a chem question:

5.00mL of conc. H2SO4 was pipetted into a volumetric flask containing water and the volume made up to exactly 1.00L. Three 20.00mL samples of 0.200molL^-1 NaOH required 22.30, 22.16, 22.17 and 22.18 mL of the acid for neutralisation using phenolphthalein indicator.
Determine the concentration of the conc. sulfuric acid solution.

thx

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ok, don't worry about the first question... solved

but here is another question...
what is a specific gravity?
its like this...
Concentrated Sulfuric acid contains 98% by weight of pure acid and has a specific gravity of 1.80... what does this mean?

I think,knowing the value for mass volumic density of [itex] H_{2}SO_{4} [/itex],that that 1.80 is nothing but the mass volumic density of the sulphuric acid's sollution...

Daniel.

well, its only part of the question

For the first problem I get about 3.6 M.

Specific gravity is the same as relative density, which is the same number as the density in cgs units. So, the density of the concentrated sulfuric acid solution is 1.8 g/mL. From this (if required) you can also determine the density of pure sulfuric acid, which will be slightly greater than 1.8 g/mL (since the density of the 2% that is water will be 1.0 g/mL).

k3l, if you need help with specific problems, you must show what you've tried. We can not help unless we know that you are making an effort. Too many people come here without making even a first attempt. From your second post, it's obvious that you're working on the problem yourself, but we wouldn't have known that from reading the first post.

ok, actually its a simple question (i think lol)
the whole question is like this:
Concentrated Sulfuric acid contains 98% by weight of pure acid and has a specific gravity of 1.80. a certain volume of this is added to water and the volume made up to 500.0mL. a mean titre of 19.60mL of this diluted acid solution neutralises 20.00mL of 0.1000molL^-1 potassium hydroxide solution.
Determine the volume of concentrated acid used in the dilution.

i've solved like... up to the concentration of Sulfuric acid in the 500.0mL sample, but without knowing what does it meant by "has a specific gravity of 1.80"... i couldn't get any further.

here is what i got for the concentration of H2SO4 in 500mL sample: 5.102*10^-2molL^-1

Okay,the answer is good.Now you need to find the volume of concentrated [itex] H_{2}SO_{4} [/itex] used in the sollution.I don't know in which the one of 500mL,or 19.6mL... :confused:

Anyway,u have the concentration and the volume,you can find the number of moles of [itex]H_{2}SO_{4} [/itex] and then the mass.Knowing the density,u can find the volume...

Daniel.

1. What is volumetric analysis?

Volumetric analysis, also known as titration, is a method used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution by reacting it with a standard solution of known concentration.

2. What is a titration?

A titration is a laboratory technique that involves adding a measured volume of one solution to another until a reaction is completed. This allows for the determination of the concentration of one of the solutions.

3. How do you perform a volumetric analysis?

To perform a volumetric analysis, you first need to prepare a standard solution of known concentration and then use it to titrate the solution of unknown concentration. The volume of the standard solution used to reach the endpoint of the reaction can be used to calculate the concentration of the unknown solution.

4. What is the purpose of using indicators in volumetric analysis?

Indicators are used in volumetric analysis to determine when the reaction has reached its endpoint. They change color when the reaction is complete, making it easier to identify when the titration is finished.

5. What are some common sources of error in volumetric analysis?

Some common sources of error in volumetric analysis include improper calibration of equipment, contamination of solutions, or errors in measuring volumes. It is important to carefully follow procedures and use precise techniques to minimize these errors.