Impact force (distance & time after impact unknown)

The first requires the cross sectional area of the steel track (which is 40x10^-6 m^2) and the second requires the compressive strength of the polyurethane wheels (which I can't find, but is probably in MPa). So I'm still at a loss.In summary, the problem is to calculate the force exerted by a vehicle onto a steel track after landing, given the vehicle's mass, Young's modulus for both the wheels and track materials, and the distance of the fall. After researching, equations were found that require the cross sectional area of the track and the compressive strength of the wheels. However, these values are not readily available, leaving the solution still unknown.
Aerstz

Homework Statement

A vehicle falls 20 mm back onto a smooth steel track after going over a bump. It has polyurethane wheels. Young's modulus is known for both wheels and track materials. What is the force exerted by the vehicle onto the track as it lands?

Homework Equations

F = mdv/dt

KE = (ma^2)/2

F = KE/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I've looked long and hard for a solution to this but all I found were equations (such as the ones above) that require either a pre-known time value for the collision or a pre-known value for distance traveled after impact.

How can an impact force be calculated simply by knowing material properties, mass of falling object, and distance of fall?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with Youngs Modulus but since you haven't had an answer...

Presumably the youngs modulus can be used to work out an equivalent spring constant for the combined wheel/track. You know the energy compressing it so you can work out the distance it's compressed?

Thanks. I've since found a couple of equations for impact stress and deflection, based on strain energy.

1. What is impact force?

Impact force is the force applied to an object when it collides with another object. It is a measure of the change in momentum of the object being impacted.

2. How is impact force calculated?

Impact force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its change in velocity over time. The formula for impact force is F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

3. How does the distance of impact affect the force?

The distance of impact can greatly affect the force. The longer the distance over which an object decelerates, the smaller the impact force will be. This is due to the object having more time to slow down and decrease its velocity.

4. What is the relationship between impact force and time after impact?

The relationship between impact force and time after impact is inverse. This means that as the time after impact increases, the impact force decreases. This is because the object has more time to decelerate and decrease its velocity.

5. How can impact force be reduced?

Impact force can be reduced by increasing the distance over which the object decelerates, decreasing the mass of the object, or by increasing the time it takes for the object to come to a complete stop. This can be achieved through various safety measures such as using airbags, crumple zones, or wearing protective gear.