Applying to Graduate school, Thoughts?

In summary, a senior computer engineering student from a small university in West Virginia is looking to apply for a masters in computer science at several schools including Carnegie Mellon, WVU, UMD, VA Tech, Penn State, and Hopkins. They are concerned about their chances of getting into Carnegie as their first choice and are wondering if they should retake the GRE. They have also included their work from school in their resume and are seeking honest criticism and advice. The link to their resume is provided in the conversation.
MrAlt
Hello All,

I am a senior computer engineering student at a small university in West Virginia. I am in the process of applying to graduate school for a masters in computer science next fall. I have picked my target schools and contacted each department.

I am looking at: Carnegie Mellon, WVU, UMD, VA Tech, Penn State and Hopkins

1.) I am very skeptical of my chances of getting into Carnegie even though it is my definite first choice, thoughts?

2.) I've read up on the importance of the GRE, will my scores be OK? Or should I attempt to take it again?

3.) I've listed in my resume some of my work from school, should I include schematics, etc?

I'm really just looking for some honest criticism about my chances for getting into grad school, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Below is the link to my resume

https://github.com/VRKnight/Resume

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
*Updated my resume* Same github, any thoughts or comments are welcome!

1. What are the basic requirements for applying to graduate school?

The specific requirements for applying to graduate school vary depending on the program and university, but in general, applicants should have a bachelor's degree, strong academic record, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE or GMAT).

2. How important are standardized test scores in the application process?

Standardized test scores are just one component of the application process and are not the sole determining factor for admission. While they can demonstrate academic ability, many programs also consider other factors such as work experience, research experience, and personal qualities.

3. When is the best time to apply for graduate school?

The best time to apply for graduate school is typically in the fall, as most programs have a deadline in December or January. However, some programs may have different deadlines, so it's important to research and plan accordingly.

4. How can I make my application stand out?

To make your application stand out, focus on highlighting your unique experiences, skills, and qualities. This could include research experience, leadership roles, volunteering, or relevant work experience. It's also important to have a strong personal statement that tells your story and explains your motivation for pursuing graduate studies.

5. Is it necessary to have a specific major or degree to apply for a graduate program?

Many graduate programs do not require applicants to have a specific major or degree, as long as they have the necessary prerequisites and meet the other requirements. However, some programs may have specific requirements or prefer applicants with certain backgrounds, so it's important to research and understand the requirements for the particular program you are interested in.