Heat pump problem with heat loss?

In summary, a heat pump is used to heat a house to 70°F with an outside temperature of 5°F and a total heat loss of 10000 BTU/hr. The efficiency of the heat pump is 45% and the power used by the pump can be calculated using the equation e = Q_H/W. The heat lost from the house is pumped back in to maintain a constant temperature.
AlyxDoll

Homework Statement

Consider a heat pump used to heat a house to 70°F when the outside temp is 5°F. The total heat loss from the house is 10000 BTU/hr. Efficiency of the heat pump is 45% of the theoretical maximum. What will be the power used by the pump?

Homework Equations

e (or cop) = Q_H/W
ideally, e = 1/(1-T_C/T_H)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am given to understand that a heat pump is a kind of refrigerator, which is a heat engine run backwards...what I don't understand is what to do with the heat loss I am given. I have absolutely no idea where the heat lost from the house would fit into the equations. Which leaves me stumped on where to even begin to start finding the work. Which is what I'm assuming is meant by "power"; however, I am not sure about that, either.

Physics news on Phys.org
The heat from the house is lost into the atmosphere. Consequently the heat pump has to pump as much heat back into the house to keep the temperature inside constant.

To maintain equilibrium (eg constant temperature) the heat coming in must equal the heat going out.

1. What is a heat pump and how does it work?

A heat pump is a heating and cooling system that transfers heat from one place to another using electricity. It works by drawing heat from the outside air or ground and transferring it indoors during the winter, and vice versa during the summer.

2. What is considered a heat loss problem with a heat pump?

A heat loss problem with a heat pump refers to a situation where the heat pump is not able to maintain a consistent or desired temperature in a space due to the loss of heat. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as inadequate insulation, air leaks, or malfunctioning equipment.

3. How can I tell if my heat pump is experiencing heat loss?

There are several signs that may indicate a heat loss problem with your heat pump, including uneven temperatures throughout your home, increased energy bills, and the heat pump running constantly. You may also notice drafts or cold spots in certain areas of your home.

4. What are some common causes of heat loss with heat pumps?

Common causes of heat loss in heat pumps include inadequate insulation in walls, floors, or ceilings; air leaks around doors and windows; and dirty or clogged air filters. It can also be caused by incorrect sizing or installation of the heat pump, or malfunctioning components such as the compressor or refrigerant levels.

5. How can I prevent heat loss problems with my heat pump?

To prevent heat loss problems with your heat pump, it is important to regularly maintain and clean your system, including replacing air filters and checking for any air leaks. Proper insulation and sealing of your home can also help prevent heat loss. It is also important to have a professional inspect and service your heat pump regularly to catch any potential issues early on.