Introduction to Finite Element Analysis

In summary, the book "An Introduction to the Finite Element Method" by J.N Reddy is a heavy read that is out of date. It is best to avoid it, and instead go for a better book on the subject. Eddie recommends "Applied Functional Analysis and Variational Methods in Engineering" by Beer and Watson. This book is more up to date and user friendly, and is a great resource for learning about finite element analysis.
bugatti79
Folks,

I have the book An Introduction to the Finite Element Method by J.N Reddy.
The following website provides

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072466855/student_view0/executables.html

access to the Fortran Executable but I am not sure how to work them. I am just beginning to learn Fortran.

Any advice will be appreciated
Regards
Eddie

Engineering news on Phys.org
You would be well advised to go for a better book. This one is not a patch on his other book.
Then you might not need Fortran.

Basic was an interpreted form of Fortran (in a way) but Fortran itself is a compiled language that requires pre assembly (processing) to input to the compiler and in a standard way so unless you have good reason to want it (it is not dead) then it is best avoided.

Studiot said:
You would be well advised to go for a better book. This one is not a patch on his other book.
Then you might not need Fortran.

Basic was an interpreted form of Fortran (in a way) but Fortran itself is a compiled language that requires pre assembly (processing) to input to the compiler and in a standard way so unless you have good reason to want it (it is not dead) then it is best avoided.

What is his other book? I have bought this book and currently self studying page by page. Currently at page 122, so I am not sure I want to start another one...?

I would like to learn some programming language so I could write FE programs in the future (although this is not critical, I want to at least understand FE Theory as I use FEA a lot in my work as an Engineer). I figured Fortran would be the way to go...but I realize it is un user friendly and huge learning curve...any other suggestions?

Reddy was a pioneer of FE stuff and wrote the early 'book'.

However it is very dated now and always was hard to follow.

However he also wrote about about the theory which leads up to and ends with FE called

Applied Functional Analysis and Variational Methods in Engineering.

This is a really good book. It is a readable and usable blend of engineering and maths filled with real examples and background theory, both in maths and engineering.

I will look out some better FE books tomorrow.

I am sorry it has taken this long but here is a short bibliography.

Finite Elements a Gentle Introduction : Heywood & Bonet

A small easily digestible monograph that does exactly what it says on the tin.

Finite Elements using Basic : Brown

Basic is easier than Fortran and this contains lots of code and examples if you want to develop your own FE.

Concepts and Applications of Finite Element Analysis : Cook, Malkus & Plesha

A full blown mathematical text from the users point of view. Contains some Fortran segments particularly to prepare input to standard FE processors.

Introduction to Finite and Boundary Element Methods for Engineers : Beer & Watson

Very modern, very clear, coloured photos of output, many examples of use, long section on Fortran and other code at end. A favourite of mine.

Studiot said:
I am sorry it has taken this long but here is a short bibliography.

Finite Elements a Gentle Introduction : Heywood & Bonet

A small easily digestible monograph that does exactly what it says on the tin.

Finite Elements using Basic : Brown

Basic is easier than Fortran and this contains lots of code and examples if you want to develop your own FE.

Concepts and Applications of Finite Element Analysis : Cook, Malkus & Plesha

A full blown mathematical text from the users point of view. Contains some Fortran segments particularly to prepare input to standard FE processors.

Introduction to Finite and Boundary Element Methods for Engineers : Beer & Watson

Very modern, very clear, coloured photos of output, many examples of use, long section on Fortran and other code at end. A favourite of mine.

Thank you Studiot for the information, its appreciated. I will certainly look into Basic for programming.
I think I will aim to complete Reddy's book from a theoretical point of view as I am enjoying it.

Regards

bugatti79 said:
Thank you Studiot for the information, its appreciated. I will certainly look into Basic for programming.
I think I will aim to complete Reddy's book from a theoretical point of view as I am enjoying it.

Regards

Based on this book I am self studying 'An Introduction to the Finite Element Method' by Reddy I wonder does anyone have in their possession?

I have a query on how the constants ##c## are determined on page 189 relating to the problem of finding the axial displacement of a composite bar.

Any information will be appreciated ( I will upload the problem data if necessary)
Regards

Well my copy is the 1984 first edition and p189 is halfway through the output of a fortran program for example 3.13 called table 3.14.

Can you give us a better clue?

Studiot said:
Well my copy is the 1984 first edition and p189 is halfway through the output of a fortran program for example 3.13 called table 3.14.

Can you give us a better clue?

I certainly will :-). The problem is determining the axial displacement of a bar sectioned in 2 with the first one being a tapered steel cross section and the second being a linear aluminium cross section. The cross sectional area for the steel section is a function of 2 c values which I don't know how they were obtained.

It is chapter 4 of edition 3.
I don't have the book with me in work but I can post the problem this evening if you wish?

Can't see anything in my version. Ch 4 is entitled Finite Element Analysis of Two Dimensional Problems. Ch3 is One Dimensional and where I would expect to find your problem.

Studiot said:
Can't see anything in my version. Ch 4 is entitled Finite Element Analysis of Two Dimensional Problems. Ch3 is One Dimensional and where I would expect to find your problem.

I have uploaded the first and second page of the problem. The determination of the c values are shown on the top of second page. I don't know how these were obtained. The area of steel is ##A(x)=(c_1+c_2 x)^2## and for Aluminium its 1inch square.
Any info would be great. THanks

Attachments

• First Page.jpg
    First Page.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 510
  • Second Page.jpg
    Second Page.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 503
Visit fulllibrary.com.It is a new but great site.It contains free books,free lecture notes,softwares and video tutorials/notes on softwares like matlab,ansys,autocad.Still it is in development phase but a nice site for undergraduate mechanical students and teachers.Visit regularly and you will find new stuff daily.

It's very difficult to read your scans, but I think the constants derive from the shape functions used to model the finite elements.

I cannot find anything similar to your example in my edition.

However my edition has a section entitled "isoparametric elements and numerical integration" where the subject of local coordinates and the variation of properties within an element is treated and shape functions are discussed. There is also a useful summary table of properties and notation. This appears wwithin my Ch3 - 'Finite Element Analysis of One Dimensional Problems.'

Studiot said:
It's very difficult to read your scans, but I think the constants derive from the shape functions used to model the finite elements.

I cannot find anything similar to your example in my edition.

However my edition has a section entitled "isoparametric elements and numerical integration" where the subject of local coordinates and the variation of properties within an element is treated and shape functions are discussed. There is also a useful summary table of properties and notation. This appears wwithin my Ch3 - 'Finite Element Analysis of One Dimensional Problems.'

Ok thanks for the information. It still eludes me so I will move on and come back at a later stage.

Question 1: What is finite element analysis (FEA)?

Finite element analysis is a numerical method used for solving engineering problems by dividing a complex structure or system into smaller, simpler elements. These elements are then analyzed individually, and the results are combined to obtain an overall solution.

Question 2: What are the applications of finite element analysis?

FEA is used in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, automotive, civil engineering, and biomechanics. It is used to analyze and optimize designs, predict the behavior of complex structures, and simulate real-world conditions to make informed engineering decisions.

Question 3: What are the steps involved in a finite element analysis?

The first step in FEA is to create a finite element model of the structure or system being analyzed. This involves dividing the structure into smaller elements, assigning material properties and boundary conditions, and meshing the elements. The next step is to apply loads and constraints to the model and solve the system of equations to obtain results. Finally, the results are post-processed and analyzed to draw conclusions.

Question 4: What are the advantages of using finite element analysis?

FEA allows for more accurate and efficient analysis of complex structures and systems compared to traditional analytical methods. It also provides the ability to simulate real-world conditions, making it a valuable tool for predicting the behavior of structures under different loading and environmental conditions. FEA also allows for quick design iterations and optimization, saving time and resources.

Question 5: What are the limitations of finite element analysis?

FEA relies on simplifications and assumptions, so the accuracy of the results is highly dependent on the accuracy of the model and input data. It also requires specialized software and expertise, making it a costly tool for smaller companies or individuals. Additionally, FEA can be time-consuming, especially for large and complex models.