What is the best model to explain metal cutting?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best explanation for metal cutting theory and the challenges in finding a comprehensive model. Merchant proposed a model in 1941, but it was not realistic and did not match experimental data. Many attempts have been made to modify the theory, but it is unclear if any have successfully addressed the problem. One person suggests reading Victor Astkhov's website for critiques of different models. The person asking for help is not able to attend classes and is relying on internet resources. A book titled "Metal Cutting Principles" by Shaw from Oxford University Press is recommended and can be ordered through interlibrary loans.
jonjacson
When I ask for the best I mean the one which explains better the experiments.

My problem is that I tried to learn but I´m a bit confused, I know that metal cutting theory has a large history, and it has had a lot of experimentation but when I try to find the theory it´s like it wouldn´t exist a model which explains every kind of situation (different materials, geometries...)

I mean Merchant proposed in 1941 a model, but it was not realistic and it didn´t agree with experimental data, there have been a lot of attempts to modify this theory in order to eliminate the problem but I don´t know if it has been achieved.

I have read Victor Astkhov´s website and he criticizes a lot of models.

I´m not going to classes so I´m alone at this, I only have internet. Anybody could show a general picture about the "state of the art" in metal cutting theory?.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Metal Cutting Principles : Shaw : Oxford University Press

You should be able to order it through interlibrary loans.

Thank you for your answer, I´ll try to buy it.

1. What is the best model to explain metal cutting?

The best model to explain metal cutting is subjective and depends on the specific cutting process and materials involved. However, two commonly used models are the Merchant's Circle Model and the Oxley Model. The Merchant's Circle Model is a geometric approach that considers the forces acting on the cutting tool, while the Oxley Model is based on the plastic deformation of the material.

2. How does the Merchant's Circle Model explain metal cutting?

The Merchant's Circle Model is based on the assumption that the cutting forces act on the tool at a single point, resulting in a circular cross-section of the chip. This model also takes into account the chip thickness and cutting speed to determine the cutting force and power required.

3. What does the Oxley Model take into consideration when explaining metal cutting?

The Oxley Model takes into consideration the material's properties, such as yield strength and strain hardening, as well as the cutting parameters like cutting speed and tool geometry. This model also considers the friction between the tool and workpiece, which can significantly affect the cutting process.

4. Are there any limitations to these models for explaining metal cutting?

Yes, both the Merchant's Circle Model and the Oxley Model have limitations. The Merchant's Circle Model does not consider the effects of temperature on the cutting process, while the Oxley Model assumes a constant shear plane angle, which may not be accurate for all materials. Additionally, both models do not consider the tool wear or tool-chip contact length, which can impact the cutting process.

5. Are there other models that can explain metal cutting?

Yes, there are other models that can explain metal cutting, such as the Johnson-Cook Model and the Lee-Shaw Model. These models take into account more complex factors, such as strain rate sensitivity and strain rate hardening, to provide a more accurate representation of the cutting process. However, these models may require more experimental data and are more computationally intensive.