Measuring current in RLC circuit

In summary, Danny provides a summary of the experiment he did involving a driven series RLC circuit. He explains that the potential difference across R is measured when calculating the current. If L's resistance is included, the current is incorrect due to the PD across R being less. If L's resistance is not included, Danny is not sure on the affect in the formula when calculating values from this current. However, Ohm's law still applies individually to each resistance and the total resistance is R+r.
dannyR

Homework Statement

I've recently completed a experiment involving a Driven series RLC circuit. The potential difference across R " a variable resistor >> internal resistance of inductor" was measured.

When calculating the current from the PD across R, should I include the internal resistance of L " the inductor"?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

If I include L's resistance:

I think this would give a incorrect answers because the PD across R would be less.

So the overall effect would be that the amplitude of current in the components will be reduced, and the measured effect of storing energy in C or L would come out as being very good quality components. Since numerically they would be storing a larger percentage of the supplied energy.

If I don't include L's resistance:

I'm not sure on the affect in the formula when calculating values from this current. Since L is assumed to be a perfect inductor, i.e. all the energy is stored within the magnetic field and not dissipated as heat.

Thanks Danny

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The current I flowing through the resistor R produces the potential drop V across that resistance. Ohm's law applies individually to each resistance. While it is true that the same current flows through all the components in a series circuit, other resistances in the string will not affect the potential across that particular R due to that current.

Suppose that you could somehow separate the internal resistance of the inductor from the inductor itself and make it a separate resistance r in series with an ideal inductance. Then, if you were so able to do so, you could measure the potential drop v across this r and deduce the same current I that you did for the external resistor R.

The bottom line is, in order to find the current I that is flowing in the series circuit, it is enough to measure the potential drop across R and apply Ohm's law for that resistance alone: I = V/R.

When deducing other characteristics of the circuit's behavior, however, you will have to take into account that the total resistance is R+r.

Thank you very much, I think I need that push of clarity which you provided. :approve:

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These three components are connected in series or parallel and interact with each other to create a complex impedance and affect the flow of current in the circuit.

2. How is current measured in an RLC circuit?

Current in an RLC circuit can be measured using an ammeter, which is placed in series with the circuit. The ammeter measures the flow of electrical charge through the circuit and provides a reading of the current in amperes (A).

3. What is the relationship between current and voltage in an RLC circuit?

In an RLC circuit, the current and voltage are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the voltage increases, the current also increases, and vice versa. However, the phase relationship between the two can vary depending on the values of the components in the circuit.

4. How does the presence of inductors and capacitors affect current in an RLC circuit?

Inductors and capacitors have unique properties that affect the flow of current in an RLC circuit. Inductors resist changes in current, causing a delay in the flow of current, while capacitors store and release electrical energy, resulting in a phase shift between the voltage and current. These properties can impact the behavior of current in an RLC circuit.

5. Why is it important to measure current in an RLC circuit?

Measuring current in an RLC circuit is important for several reasons. It allows us to understand the behavior and characteristics of the circuit, determine the power dissipated by each component, and ensure that the circuit is functioning correctly. Additionally, current measurements can help troubleshoot any issues or malfunctions in the circuit.