Electric car and its battery.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the maximum velocity for an electric car to cover the alleged maximum distance. The equation provided may not be accurate and the efficiency of the motor and car drag should be considered. The maximum time the car can travel at maximum capacity is also mentioned and calculated. It is noted that the most efficient cruising speed for an electric car may be low due to a lack of gears, and balancing against the power use of accessories may also play a role.
peripatein
Hello,

(1) Is the below equation for calculating the maximum velocity for attaining the alleged maximum distance correct, i.e. at what speed should an electric car travel for it to cover the maximum distance?

E of battery - (F rolling friction + F air drag)*(alleged maximum distance) = 1/2*M*V^2

I got 83.5km/h, for M=1543kg, air density=1.2kg/m^3, battery=21kWh, rolling friction coefficient=0.01, air drag coefficient=8.5sq ft, maximum distance=115miles.

Am I right?

(2) I am also asked for the maximum time it could travel at maximum capacity (e.g. up the hill). Given that the motor's power is 95hp, I divided the battery's energy (namely, 21kWh) by that number, and got approx. 18 minutes. Is that correct? Is it reasonable?

Engineering news on Phys.org
For the first, no, the maximum range of an electric car has nothing to do with the kinetic energy at cruising speed. The equation should probably just have a zero on the right side.

The second one is correct.

Following your reasoning, I now got that only for a velocity as low as 23.28km/h would that alleged maximum distance be obtained. Could it indeed be that low?

Typically, the most efficient cruise speed of an normal car is the lowest speed at which it can comfortably run in its highest gear. I would think it would be the same for an electric car, though I don't know how the gearing might be different.

As gears aren't really needed for full EV's as you have maximum torque at 0rpm. You'll just need a fixed reduction ratio to bring the wheels to a sensible operating range, so you can ignore it.

The motor efficiency curve vs car drag is most important. Selecting a motor that sits in the peak efficiency range @ cruise without excess power. Electric motors are most efficient at about 75% of maximum speed.

I'm fairly sure google can help out with e-motor efficiency curves.

So if the maximum speed for that car is 135km/h, how could the speed I got (approx. 23km/h) for maximum alleged distance be correct?

What you've calculated is most likely meaningless. It's not really clear what you have done.

I can't be bothered working it out properly myself, but we can at least do a sanity check.

135 kph top speed * 0.75 = 101 kph. So about 62 mph.
This is close to the most efficient cruising speed for an IC engine when geared for best bsfc in top, so that makes sense.

Last edited:
But I didn't need to calculate the top speed. It was given. I was asked for the velocity which would enable attaining that maximum distance.

If an electroc car has only one gear ratio, the most efficient speed would be pretty low. I'd think balancing against the power use of the accessories would play a role in limiting the minimum as well.

1. How does an electric car's battery work?

The battery in an electric car is made up of multiple cells, which are connected together to form a larger unit. These cells store electrical energy, which is then used to power the car's electric motor. When the car is in use, the battery's energy is converted into mechanical energy, which moves the car's wheels.

2. How long does an electric car's battery last?

The lifespan of an electric car's battery depends on several factors, including the type of battery, the quality of the battery, and how the car is driven. On average, most electric car batteries are designed to last for 8-10 years or around 100,000-200,000 miles of driving. However, with proper maintenance and care, the battery's lifespan can be extended.

3. Can an electric car's battery be charged at home?

Yes, most electric car batteries can be charged at home using a standard electrical outlet. However, the charging time will vary depending on the size of the battery and the type of charger being used. It is recommended to install a dedicated charging station at home for faster charging times.

4. How long does it take to charge an electric car's battery?

The charging time for an electric car's battery can vary depending on the size of the battery, the type of charger, and the level of charge needed. On average, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 12 hours to fully charge an electric car's battery. However, with the advancement of technology, there are now fast-charging options that can significantly reduce charging time.

5. Are electric car batteries safe?

Yes, electric car batteries are designed to be safe and have undergone rigorous testing to ensure their safety. They are also equipped with various safety features, such as thermal management systems and battery management systems, to prevent overheating and other potential hazards. However, as with any type of battery, proper handling and maintenance are important to ensure safety.